Friday, August 24, 2018

Five Minute Friday: "Loyal"




Loyal - giving or showing firm and constant support or allegiance to a person or institution.

The first thing that came to mind with this prompt is a scene from a Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "A Matter of Honor."  In this episode, Commander Riker of the Enterprise is taking second in command on a Klingon vessel as part of an officer exchange program.  Upon entering the vessel, his loyalty is immediately challenged.

It's a good episode, but I've only got five minutes, so I can't go into details right now but here's the clip:



As the episode continues, Riker shows his loyalty and earns the trust of many of his shipmates.  His loyalty is not shown with words, but with actions.

True friendship demands loyalty.  Not the kind of bullying loyalty that demands that one must remain loyal no matter what in fear of shunning or punishment.  Real loyalty is deeper than that.

In John 15:14, Jesus says " Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you."  Yes, it sounds like a bully--"If you're going to be my friend, you do what I tell you."  However, this is Jesus; he's no bully.

So what did He mean?  If you truly know Me as Friend and Savior, you can trust that anything I ask you to do will be right.  Plus, you can trust that I will be ever-loyal to you. As I said, "I will not leave you or forsake  you." (Hebrews 13:5)

I'm thankful for the loyalty of the Savior.

4 comments:

  1. Shannon, I am too am so thankful for the loyalty of the Saviour. It is an amazing assurance to know that He will be ever-loyal and will never leave us or forsake us. Thanks for your post! Visiting from FMF community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Auntie, thi is my favourite episode of The Next Generation; than you for highlighting it here!

    Is it OK that I call you Auntie? I never had one; will you be mine?

    #1 at FMF this week.

    https://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2018/08/your-dying-spouse-508-plagues-of-egypt.html

    ReplyDelete