Saturday, March 24, 2018

Book Trek 2018 - 07

Book:  Audacious. (Audio version)

Author:  Beth Moore

Info:  Copyright 2015.  Nashville:  B&H Books

Rating (on a scale of 1-4 stars):  ✮✮✮

Where Acquired:  Library check out.

What it's about
 "Do you love Me?"  Those words spoken by Jesus Christ to the Apostle Peter are also His "Jeopardy" question for us.  While the easy answer for the professing Christian is yes, the proof of practice is a little harder to find.  Moore approaches the relation of Christ's audacious love for us to our audacious love for Him.  According to Moore, audacious love is not about the showy, the loud, or a specific set of rules; it is about coming out of a dry spiritual place by allowing Jesus to be who and what quenches our thirst.

Favorite Quotes:

From Chapter 2
If it's Christians you don't like, I get it.  I don't like a few of the either.  But I'm asking that you not confuse them, or me, or any other flesh and blood with Jesus.  He is in a class all by himself.


From Chapter 6:  Her description of attending her own funeral was not only intriguing, but hilarious to boot.
A work of God cannot be mastered by man, no matter how gifted we are.  One day we'll think we've got the thing down.  The next day we'll wonder what on the ever-loving earth we were smoking.  The paradox is that it takes God to actually serve God.

From Chapter 7:
We're living like paupers in a bank vault.

What I liked
  • Moore narrates her own audiobook.  It may seem like a moot point, but many authors who write and speak well do not read aloud very well.  This author does an excellent job of conveying the message of her book.
  • While encouraging the reader to audacious faith and love, Moore doesn't take the experience and dumb it down to Sunday School sap, or rage it into blame and shame.  She doesn't tell us that we'll just float through life, nor does she intimate that the reader's walk with Christ has to look a certain way to be "right."
  • She is the epitome of "This is what I wanted.  This is how I screwed it up.  This is how God fixed it...and me."  Her realness is much needed and appreciated.

What I didn't like

For me, there was nothing to dislike about this tome.

Takeaway

I've been a Christ follower for more than 30 years, but the walk hasn't been perfect.  Many Gospel-based books shame those who admit to this imperfection.  Truth be told, if anyone tells you their relationship with Jesus has been easy, they are either lying, are a novice, or they have made Jesus who they want Him to be, rather than who the Bible says He is.  Moore's allowing for imperfect progress on the road to audacious love and faith makes this book unique. 

I would like to make the print version of this book as a permanent part of my personal library.  I also desire to participate in a Bible study or book discussion group on this volume.  I feel that strongly about the message.

No comments:

Post a Comment