Friday, November 10, 2017

Five Minute Friday: "Silence"




Habakkuk 2:20 (KJV) - But the Lord is in his holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before him.
 
Today at our monthly campus-wide Strategic Objective Workshop, we heard a stirring presentation by Dr. James Emery White.  His topic was "A Mind for God," based on his book of the same title.  I purchased the book, and if it's anything like his presentation, I'll most likely finish it in a weekend.

One of the points Dr. White made was that many people do not take the necessary steps to cultivate a healthy mind because they are unwilling to deal with silence.  From an overload of technology and media to internal stressors, the noise from without and within prevent us from even doing the basics of scholarly pursuits and learning how to think for ourselves.

One of the benefits of my move is that my new place doesn't have internet.  Yes, I'm not purchasing it for now because of budget.  However, I want to use this technology break to spend more time in quiet study and creativity.  Don't worry, I'll get on enough to post blogs and the necessaries, but I'm gong to enjoy the silence.
 
-----
Prompts provided by Mrs. Kate over at Five Minute Friday.

1 comment:

  1. I admire you Shannon! I think we all need a technology break but it’s so hard to do! Even without my iPad my mind makes enough noise that the Lord can’t get a word in! I’m trying to learn to appreciate the silence too! Your #fmf neighbor Cindy

    ReplyDelete