Wednesday, November 15, 2017

You Ain't From Here, Are You?: The Weekly Hodgepodge

Join the fun! 
Come on over to 
for the Hodgepodge link-up!
What takes you out of your comfort zone?

It's not really one particular thing.  Like many others, I fight the Imposter Syndrome--the feeling that I'm not as good, talented, or smart as those around me, and that I will be "found out."  It's a terrible feeling that isn't unique to my new situation; I've dealt with this level of insecurity most of my teen and adult life.

Your least favorite spice?

OK.  First, I'm not sure of the difference between an herb and a spice, so I may be answering the question totally wrong.  

Anyway...

Of all the spices/herbs I've dealt with, I don't care for raw cilantro; it tastes like soap.  With that being said, I've had a dish with the cilantro cooked in it and liked it.  Maybe the cooking removes the soapy taste???

What's a small change you'd like to make?

Getting my total fitness program back to where I want it.  I'll be spending the rest of the year working on that.

Do you enjoy visiting historic homes? If so, of the homes you've visited which one was your favorite? What historic home near you is open to visitors? Have you been? Southern Living rounded up eleven of the best in the southern part of the US and they're as follows-Monticello (Jefferson's home in Virginia), Nathaniel Russel House (Charleston SC), Swan House (Atlanta), Ernest Hemingway's home (Key West), The Biltmore (Vanderbilt home in Asheville NC), Mount Vernon (Washington's home in Virgina), San Francisco Plantation (Garyville, Louisiana), Windsor Ruins (Port Gibson Mississippi), Longue Vue House and Gardens (New Orleans), Whitehall (Palm Beach FL), and Pebble Hill Plantation (Thomasville GA) Have you been to any on the list? Of the homes listed which would you most like to visit?

I'm not sure.  The only historical home I've visited was George Washington's home in Mt. Vernon.  This was during our marching band's trip to DC.  It was such a whirlwind trip that I don't remember much of it.

What's something you think will be obsolete in ten years? Does that make you sad or glad?

Probably my cell phone.  Hopefully, I'll learn how to use something newer by then.

Insert your own random thought here. 

Now that I have moved into my own place, I can tell you the saga of getting there.

Don't worry, it's a brief saga...hopefully.

As many of you know, housing in Colorado is crazy.  There's more people than available housing and new homes and apartment buildings are being built any and everywhere.  This does cause price gouging in some areas--especially around Denver where I am.  Surprisingly, I found several places within my price range.  Not surprising, some contacts came with issues.  One guy was so creepy that I didn't care how much the rent was, I didn't want him being my landlord. Several never responded to my communication.  But these weren't the worst experiences I had.

The one place where I actually got a call back was actually promising...until I went to look at it.  The problem wasn't the place; it was small, but nice.  The problem was the attitude of the landlady and manager involved.  In short, they took me out of the running for the place because I wasn't from Colorado.  The manager actually said to me, "Oh, so you're not from Colorado?  You're not here for the weed are you?"


Apparently, my "no, sir" wasn't a good enough answer.  The fact that I work at a Christian college and couldn't smoke pot even if I wanted to didn't matter either.  He gave me this speech about how he wished all the potheads from out of state would go home.  Apparently, he believes there aren't any potheads native to Colorado.

Yeah, right!

Every time I called to check on the status of my application, the landlady kept fiddle farting around and changing her story about the place.  Evidently, she has the same attitude about "foreigners."  Well, I hope she found some nice Coloradians to take the place.

God had something better for me.

I'm enjoying my new place.  There's not much in it yet, but I'm sure that will change quickly.  I'm going to have so much fun decorating and creating.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you found a place to live. Sorry for the negative vibes of some people. Good and bad people are everywhere. Enjoy the decorating process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Most everyone I've met since coming to Colorado have been very kind. You know there's always that ONE. :)

      Delete
  2. On our recent drive up the Northern California coast and Oregon I was a little bit surprised at the number of 'shops' and all the advertising. It's a little off putting in the middle of all that natural beauty! Also, what do they expect when they make it so available and other states do not. Of course they're going to have some people coming just for that. I'm so glad you found a home you're enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I still find it interesting that the CITIZENS of Colorado voted for this mess, but the guy assumed that potheads are not indigenous to Colorado. #SMH

      Delete