Thursday, November 23, 2017

40 Days of Gratitude: Day 02


This morning, I awoke to a better frame of mind.

Wait, your Wednesday Hodgepodge wasn't that bad.

No, but because Mrs. Joyce sends the questions on Tuesday, I finished up the gratitude entry first thing Wednesday morning.

Tuesday was hard.

It started out as a fun day.  Since we're off until Monday, the plan was to decorate the front entryway for the Christmas holiday.  I really enjoy decorating and was looking forward to helping however I could.  However, the person in charge of the project wanted things done a certain way, and apparently, I couldn't perfectly execute what she wanted.  No worries, I thought I'd play some Christmas music for all of us to enjoy.  Obviously, not only is there certain ways of decorating, but there's also certain music that must be played.  So, a phone and Bluetooth speaker with "appropriate" music was brought out, and I was shut out again.

Sigh.

I'm usually pretty thick skinned about stuff like this (unfortunately, I'm used to it), but this really isn't what I needed my first holiday away from home and the familiar.  Earlier in the week, coworkers asked me if I were homesick.  My answer was that I missed the people back home, but not necessarily the place.

I don't know if it was because I was tired, or cold, or a hormone jumped the shark, or what, but I went home crying.  No, I didn't show it--don't worry.  I put on my bedclothes and crawled into bed before sundown.  It was that old tired, achy, depressed feeling that is all too familiar for me.  I was invited to a Thanksgiving celebration the next day, but I went to sleep secretly hoping the hosts would change their minds so I could just stay home.

I ended the day very unthankful.

Bea's Thanksgiving poem
As I said, today, I awoke in a much better frame of mind.  I'm not sure if it was a sermon or a podcast, but I'd recently heard someone say when we feel hurt or rejected, the worst thing to do it act as if we don't care.  Lying to ourselves about our own feelings is psychologically damaging.  So, I took my feelings to God.

He can handle it.

Annie & I
This put me in a much better frame of mind for the celebration ahead.  My sister-in-blog Annie invited me over for Thanksgiving.  Along with her parents, her husband's family were in full force.  I had a blast.  The food was great (they enjoyed my Southern Potato Salad).  The was much laughter and joyous conversation.  Annie's five year old, Beatrix (Bea) read a Thanksgiving poem before we ate.  All of the kids were preparing to put on a talent show when I left (long drive, otherwise I would have stayed longer). 

I'm so thankful for a great end to what could have been a horribly depressing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment