Tuesday, November 21, 2017

2017 Reading Quest 27

BookThe Women of Christmas.

Author: Liz Higgs

Info:  Copyright 2013: New York:  Waterbrook Press.

Where acquired: Library check out.

Rating (on a scale of 1-4 stars):  ✮✭

CategoryImpulse Read:  The ladies' Bible study I was involved in before I started working were doing a study on this book.  Since I couldn't attend, I decided to read the book.

What it's about:  Higgs focuses on the principle female characters of the Christmas story.  Taking a verse-by-verse journey through the account of Jesus' birth, the author zeroes in on Elizabeth, Mary, and Anna.

What I Liked:
  • The book was a short, easy read.
  • The Kindle edition had real page numbers.
  • There were no aside boxes in the text.
What I didn’t like: 
  • The choppiness of the text read like a quick cut-and-paste of the author's notes and a few salient comments from her Bible study group thrown in.  Reading it was like being part of a Bible study where all the participants knew each other, but you were the newbie who didn't understand all the inside jokes and nuances of the group. 
  • The study questions at the end just didn't do it for me.  It still felt like I was sitting as the lone "dunce" in a class full of teacher's pets.
  • While I applaud her use of various Bible versions to further amplify the meaning of some passages, the manner is which they were done was very disruptive to the already choppy flow of the narrative.

Takeaway

Years ago, I read Higgs' Bad Girls of the Bible and really enjoyed it.  While I didn't expect this book to be written in the same style, I did expect a more in-depth text that would inspire me to dig deeper.  It didn't.  Maybe studying it along with others would have been more helpful--but maybe not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment