Thursday, August 31, 2017

Casting Pods Before Swine [Thursday 13]



Podcasting, that wonderful audio medium that allows an individual to speak his heart and mind, and interact with the rest of the world.  Everyone from stay at home moms to the Hollywood elite can, and do, have successful podcasts.  Yes, I'm a fan.

For several years, I've been knocking around the idea of starting a podcast.  I've even had friends tell me I would be great at it, but I still haven't completed one episode.  I'd create the audio, start editing it, and think nah!  Here I am in the throws of a new life adventure and considering it again.  However, there are still some roadblocks.

Here are thirteen concerns about why I don't have a podcast...yet:
  1. Quite frankly the thought of it excites me, but also scares the pee out of me. 
  2. Would anyone listen to it?  It's such a comfort to know how many of you read my blog, but would you be willing to hear my voice and encourage others to do so? 
  3. Do I even have time for this?  I just moved across the country and have started job hunting, so do I really have time for yet another project?
  4. What would I talk about?  Some podcasts I've heard are nothing more than an hour of whining or exhausting self promotion that bring no value to the listener.  I don't want that to y'all.  I want my podcast to be entertaining as well as informative.  Can I really pull that off and still be open and honest?  I also don't want it to simply be an audio version of my blogs.
  5. Equipment and software:  On my old desktop computer that was still running Windows XP (!!), I had a great audio recorder program.  However, all that old equipment went to the happy hunting grounds before my move.  I thought I could use the same program on my laptop, however, it doesn't even recognize my microphone, or the audio inputs.  This makes the program totally useless!  I downloaded the free Audacity program...and there it sits...waiting to be used...and I don't know how to use it.  I don't even know where to start. I'm afraid to fool with it since I don't even know if it will work either.  This is ridiculous! I spent a semester at JSU learning to do audio editing with a grease pencil and a razor blade, surely I can figure this out!
  6. What about music?  No podcast is complete without some music and sounds to sooth the talking head. BUT from what I understand, I can't use just any music.  I'd have to pay for it.  So there goes using Uptown Funk as my podcast theme, or having an 80's dance party in the middle of it.  Maybe I can find something free on the web...??
  7. Budget:  How professional could my podcast be using all free stuff?
  8. Where would I put it?  Again, is there a place where you can listen to it that doesn't cost an arm, a leg, and a kidney?
  9. How long should it be?  Should I just do some initial "quickies" and make it longer if people listen, or just dive right in?
  10. How often should I post it?  I don't want to be that friend who checks in too often, and I also want to have something interesting to talk about.  Is once a week enough?  How about once every two weeks?
  11. Should it be solo, or should I interview people, or a little of both?  If I interview people, how would I do it?  Back to the equipment and software issue.
  12. What do I call it?  Do I link the name with my blogs, or come up with something completely off the wall?
  13. What if it sucks?  What if it doesn't?
I welcome all serious, and constructive feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment