Friday, September 16, 2016

Five Minute Friday: "Listen"

Our Mistress of Ceremonies for the Five Minute Friday is Kate over at Heading Home.  Hope you link up with us and join the fun.


 
GO! 

Wherever I go, I wish I could wear a shirt that says this...













 

Yeah, I know it's crass, but true.  Sometimes I want to jerk a knot in people while screaming that very phrase!
 
Hearing is different from listening.  Hearing is usually passive; listening is active.  I think people hear me when I speak, but do the listen?  Rarely.
 
Is it because what I have to say isn't important?  Is what I say important, but ceases to be so because it comes from me?  What is it? 
 
I'm always telling myself that I talk too much, but then again, I can feel that way and not speak a word to another human being.  Yes, I know I'm a woman, but I can (and do) go through long periods of time without speaking to another person.
 
I've told my friends before that I feel like I'm like a doll in a glass case.  People take me out and "play" with me when they want/need something, then put me back in when they're done, all the while I'm longing to connect and be heard.  It doesn't happen.
 
People who won't listen to instructions are the worst.  I could tell you stories, but I've only got five minutes.  :)
 
STOP!

2 comments:

  1. You are right. Listening is very different from hearing. We can hear all kinds of sounds, but to really listen takes intention. Great post! I'm your neighbor at #FiveMinuteFriday!

    ReplyDelete