Friday, August 5, 2016

Auntie's 2016 Bookworm Challenge 06

BookEvery Storm

Author: Lori Wick

Info: Copyright 2004:  Harvest House Publishers.

Rating (on a scale of 1-4 hashtags): # # # 1/2

What it's about:  Lorraine Archer, a governess in Australia, and Donovan Riggs, a World War II Naval officer from California, are on a literal crash course to love.  Their story is one initially filled with desperation, grief, and anger, but ends in tenderness and stronger faith in the Lord.

Favorite Quotes

I didn't really have any favorite quotes, per se. 

What I Liked:
  • Every Storm was a very sweet story that drew me to complete the book rather quickly.
  • The characters experienced real pain and doubt, yet they also experienced true love, family closeness, and happiness.  They weren't plastic, predictable, or trite "Christian" characters.
  • Having the book set in the World War II era was a new setting for this author.  She did a good job in bringing the reader to that time period.
What I didn’t like: 
  • I couldn't really pinpoint anything specific that I didn't like about this novel.   It wasn't bad, but it seemed to be missing something.  I simply can quite pinpoint what the missing element is.  
  • I've read many of Wick's books, and this one wasn't her best. It didn't seem to go as deeply spiritually or romantically as other works by Wick such as Sophie's Heart and Bamboo and Lace, yet it wasn't bad.
  • SPOILER ALERT:  Without giving away names, one of the characters  dies.  There should have been more about his family and the aftermath of his death.  Yes, he was a minor character, but we needed more information.
TakeawayEvery Storm was a fun read.  I would recommend it as a end of the summer read or any time of relaxed reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment