Friday, April 15, 2016

Lose Your Quit Quest 15

Step 15:  Mark your progress or you'll never know you're making any.

The saying goes "the job's not finished until the paperwork's done."  With this quest, finding areas of progress is essential.  The number on the scale alone doesn't tell the full story.  Other indicators paint a bigger picture.
  • More reps than before.
  • Faster times in 5k races.
  • Further distances walked, ran or cycled.
  • Lifting more weight.
  • Trying new workouts and succeeding.
  • Muscle development.
  • Longer workouts.
  • More vitality and less fatigue.
  • Clothes getting looser.
  • Fitting into "progress" wear.
  • Less embarrassing photographs
I've got several ways I track my progress.  I have sheets for keeping up with workouts.  I track my walking/running mileage on both runsignup.com and an Excel spreadsheet.  The spreadsheet includes my cycling miles and backs up when runsignup is on the fritz and I have to reenter my data (it's happened before).  Both a Garmin GPS watch and a Fitbit were gifts that I use, plus I use the Runkeeper app on my phone when I don't have my watch. 

When I look back over the things I've tracked, it gives me hope that I am making progress.  It also shows me areas where I could improve.  It may not be the most efficient tracking system, but it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment