Saturday, May 2, 2015

Auntie's Full Shelf Challenge 07

BookThe Christmas Quilt.

Author: Jennifer Chiaverini

Info: Copyright 2005, Simon and Schuster:  New York

Where acquired: Check out of public library.

Why:  On my many treks to the library last year, I saw the Elm Creek Quilts series of novels.  I'm very interested in quilting and I like a good story, so I put these on my "to read" list.  My fondness for Christmas stories drew me to start with this one.  Plus, I needed a little escape novel from all the heavy reading I've been doing.

Rating (on a scale of 1-4 hashtags): # # 
  

What it's about:  Sylvia, an elderly widow and Sarah, a young new bride, are co-owners of a quilting retreat.  The Christmas season has brought out Sarah's joyous enthusiasm, but stirred Sylvia's Ebenezer Scrooge side.  In the midst is Sylvia's family Christmas quilt; unfinished. Sarah's decision to complete the quilt cause Sylvia to deal with the dark memories that have haunted her for fifty years.

What I Liked:
  • It was very well written and not a cheesy, predictable story.
  • The novel was a quick read.
What I didn’t like: 
  • This was one of the most angry Christmas stories I've ever read.  Everyone arguing and ticked off until the last few pages of the book; it was very painful to read.  It makes me wonder if the rest of the series is going to be this way.  If so, no thanks. 
To sum up:  The Christmas Quilt does teach a good lesson on regret and the need for those in conflict to attempt reconciliation (if possible) before it's too late. 

No comments:

Post a Comment