Sunday, February 8, 2015

Elite Mockingbirds: The Simple Woman's Daybook

If you would like to join in and post your own Daybook, please head on over to visit Peggy at The Simple Woman's Daybook

For Today:  Sunday, February 8, 2015
 

Outside my window … A gorgeous warm evening.  I read on Jon Acuff's Twitter: "We live in the South because occasionally a 65 degree day will sneak up and give you a hug in the middle of February."  Thank You, Lord, for that hug.

I am thinking... about the next week: what projects to start and what I can get accomplished.

I am thankful... For the beautiful weather, for a great walk today.

In the kitchen...  restocking and rethinking.  My new mantra is "You are not a garbage disposal." 
 
I am creating... Finally finished the quilt-ghan:





It's called "Peony" and was inspired by quilter Eleanor Burns' Egg Money Quilts series.  This one will be going to this month's senior citizens' dance as a door price.  I plan on starting another large project in March.

The month of February will be more of a literary creation month.

I am going...  to get in as much outside time as I can.  The weather forecast looks favorable for most of this week.
 
I am wondering... about why people are so excited about the news that Harper Lee may write another novel.  I know I mentioned this in my Wednesday Hodgepodge, but not everyone reads that.  This is what I had to say about it.
My friends are beside themselves absolutely drooling because they want another book like To Kill a Mockingbird.  Why?  Why would people want more of a story like that? For those who've never read the book or viewed the movie: It's the story of a country lawyer who defends a black man falsely accused of rape.  The man was convicted, sent to prison, and was killed in prison for trying to escape.  Oh yeah, we need more literature like that.  No thank you; one forced reading in high school was enough.
I'm still mystified by it.
 
I am reading... This week, I finished Big Girls Don't Whine by Jan Silvious.  My review can be found here.  My plan this week is to go back and finish The Art of Prayer by Kenneth Hagin, and start The Daniel Plan by Rick Warren et al.  I'd started the Hagin book last year and received the Warren book as a gift this week.
 
I am hoping... to have a good week.

I am looking forward to...
 Hearing Richard and Dara Cobb's testimony again on Friday.  They lead a Celebrate Recovery in Decatur, Alabama and are so passionate about helping others.  They will be sharing their story at my CR.
 
I am learning
…  I'm not sure how to answer this.
 
Around the house... Not much.
 
I am pondering...  The cycle of "Elite Nights" is beginning.  Reminds me of what I said in a daybook about this last year:
I've heard the phrase "elite weekend" thrown around a lot by my internet tribe.  Their little darlings are going to their dances this weekend.  I thought I was making unnecessary assumptions about what that meant until I looked up the definition of elite:  "the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons."   Really?  Telling your kid that they are better than everyone else is to be celebrated?  Kind of gives the middle finger salute to the "non-elites" doesn't it?  Geez!  What a lovely image to present to our children.  "No children, don't work hard and study hard, your good looks will get you everything you want."  Double Geez!
This year's "elite" come complete with certificates marking their achievement of being better than everyone else.  Triple Geez!

A favorite quote for today... 

"If you're born with puffy lips, that's what you need. Don't add 'em! Cause if you add 'em, you look like somebody punched you in the face." - Greg Burgess

One of my favorite things... Petunias. 

A few plans for the rest of the week:   I don't have anywhere special I need to go this week.  My plans are mostly about workouts and reading I want to finish, and some projects I want to start.

A peek into my day...  

Leah M. and I walked 6 miles on the Ladiga Trail today.  That my furthest session so far this year.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon, just wanted to pop in and say hello from a fellow "SWDB Linkett".

    Your comment about not being a garbage disposal reminded me of something my husband recently told me. I tend to eat things just so they don't go bad if left uneaten, can you relate? It might be a result of being raised thrifty-minded, who knows. But he said something to me the other day that really helped a lot with rethinking what I'm eating, 'whatever it is that is in the fridge, whether you eat it or not, will eventually end up as garbage'. This has helped me a lot...I no longer feel any guilt about throwing something out that no one is eating.

    p.s. I adore that quilt-ghan you made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Siggie. Yes, guilt surrounding food is so common. I also have to deal with a food pushing housemate who's poor health shows me my future if I don't stop this nonsense.

      Delete