Saturday, November 22, 2014

40 Days of Gratitude: Introduction

 

Several things bug me during this season;  the time change (which means it gets dark at 4:30), shorter days and cold temps that keep me from spending time outside, and people who put up Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving.  I know people have their reasons and they can do whatever they want, but Thanksgiving and the purpose of celebrating it have gotten lost.  It's like I've heard said, people spend one day giving thanks for what they have--maybe--and the day after beating the crap out of each other to get more stuff.  No, I'm not against stuff and shopping, but come on.  How many years now have we seen news stories about fights,  people being trampled, injured, or killed, and hurried car crashes for the sake of getting something first? 

Another problem with this season for me and thousands of others is seasonal depression.  I don't prescribe to the assumption that every person who deals with depression is ungrateful and thinks of themselves too much.  Yeah, I get that answer all the time.  **Buzz** flag on the play!  I'm going to have to call B.S. on that one.  Generally, feeling hopeless causes a person to think so little of themselves that they stop taking care of themselves and stop healthy social activities.

Since the time change a couple of weeks ago, I've felt the icy grip of mental darkness attempt to take a firm hold of my psyche.  I'm determined that this season will be different.  I've got several strategies for dealing with it:
  • Proper diet and exercise. I'm involved in another fitness challenge.  No, not like the crappy one.
  • Checking in with my sponsor.  I will be working on the 12 steps through this.
  • Getting outside whenever possible.  Praise God that Alabama weather isn't cold every day.
  • Continue to create (not just for others, but for myself as well).
  • Keep humorous and encouraging materials readily available.
  • Rest (not more sleep, but more real rest and relaxation)
My main strategy is to try to find something to be thankful for every day and write a post about it with a photo.  No matter who you ask, gratitude is said to be a bolster to one's mental health.  This will go on from today until the last day of the year; a total of 40 days.  Please feel free to join in if you'd like.

No comments:

Post a Comment