|Go over to http://f.riday5.com/ for the weekly prompts.|
This week's theme focuses on summer water fun.
- Where and how did you learn to swim? I've kind of been learning in stages. I learned the basics from one of my sisters' boyfriends when I was about eight or ten years old. I learned how to stroke and breathe better from a friend of mine while I was on Summer Beach Project summer of 1992. Now, I'm picking up tips here and there. I need to take a formal swimming class. I can swim and not drown, but if I ever want to swim any kind of distance, I need some formal training.
- How far away is the nearest swimmable body of fresh water, and how’s the swimming there? Not sure about any that aren't formal swimming pools. The Jacksonville Community Center's pool is about six miles from where I live. The YMCA's indoor pool is about eight miles away. Not sure if there is a swimming hole in Weaver.
- How long has it been since you’ve been for a swim? More than a year ago.
- What’s the nearest community swimming pool like? The pool at the Jacksonville Community Center is great. The shallow area is specifically designed for kids with a mushroom waterfall for them to play under. The deep end is designed like an Olympic sized pool; it can be laned off for swimming competitions or lap swimming. The only drawback is that it's an outdoor pool that is only open three months out of the year.
- What experience do you have with jumping off stuff and into water? I once won a belly buster contest in Florida. Does that count?
|Fun at the pool with my ThunderBabies during my teaching days.|