Wednesday, August 13, 2014

#59 Empty Shelf Challenge 05 [101 in 1001]

BookRunning Within .

Author: Jerry Lynch & Warren Scott

Info: Copyright 1999 Human Kinetics

Where acquired: Public Library book sale.

Availability: amazon.com and www.humankinetics.com

Why:  I am a struggling beginning runner and needed some pointers.  I saw this book at the library book sale and it looked interesting.

Rating (on a scale of 1-4 hashtags):  # #

What it's about:  The purpose of the book is to help runners transcend self-imposed mental barriers and attitudes that preclude advancing in the quest for improving their physical running game.

Favorite Quotes

"Remember, within the rose at all times is its full potential.  It is constantly in the process of change and growth as it comes into its own.  When we give it water, sun, and nourishment, it blossoms fully.  Like this flower, you are a natural unfolding athlete.  Nurture yourself with encouragement and positive affirmations (avoiding the messages that kill your spirit).  You have all that you need is within you now to become all that you can be.  Simply notice it and affirm it to be so." - p. 47

What I Liked:
  • I realize that I approach life through a different mindset and spiritual conviction than the authors.  Though I do not agree with the sources of some of the information contained in the book, the concepts are sound.   Well, OK, until the last couple of chapters.  Visualization and affirmation are key ingredients to a successful mental running game.  I needed that since I go into most races with a sense of defeat.  That mentality adds undue stress and sucks all the fun out of a race.
What I didn’t like: 
  • I can't stand it when an author takes a preface, the introduction and several chapters to tell us what the book is about, or what it's going to do for me.  Sounds like a used car salesman who's hiding something.  The authors fiddle fart around too much at the beginning of the book.  Just get to it, will you?  This prolonged faux suspense does not make me want to keep reading; it makes me want to throw the book across the room and hop on YouTube.
  • Once the authors do get to the point, they repeat themselves a lot.  (Can you say ad nauseam boys and girls?  I knew you could.)  It's as if one author didn't know what the other was writing.  How many times can you say "stress and pressure can lead to injury and burnout" and "don't think like a loser"?  We get it.
  • They never really address the body the way I expected.  The repetitive harping on the mind buries the physical aspects of running.  After 13 chapters on the mind, I was hoping the last five might address the body itself.  But, nope.  This made the book very hard to finish.  Honestly, I skimmed through the last couple of chapters.
  • It may be that this book isn't for a beginner like me; it may be for a more advanced runner who knows the physical basics and needs the mind connection.  That's not on them; that's on me.
  • Caption your photos, dudes.  I don't know who these people are or what they have to do with what I'm reading.
To sum up: My main takeaway from the book was this:

Keep running; just don't kill yourself doing it.  Oh yeah, and think positive.


Want to join the challenge?  Click the empty shelf photo on the right to learn more.  It's not too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment