Friday, October 11, 2013

Five Minute Friday: "Ordinary"

Thanks to Lisa-Jo Baker at Five Minute Friday for the prompts.
 
Five Minute Friday

"I'm so very ordinary.  Nothing special on my own." - Call On Jesus. Nicole C. Mullen
 
GO!

Ordinary...plain...those are words I use to describe myself and my life.  I know, it seems harsh, but it's better than referring to myself as ugly (which I am not).  But ordinary can be a good thing, as far as looks goes.  People want to be around you for something other than physical attractiveness.  For a life, though, ordinary isn't a good thing.  I would rather be doing great things--the extraordinary things I see in my mind that I should be doing.  I just finished the book Self Matters by Dr. Phillip McGraw.  The book just made me more anxious to break out of this ordinary, lifeless existence, and move on to higher heights.  I'm just trying to find what step one is.  No more "Auntie, Plain and Short."  If you've heard of the book Sarah, Plain and Tall you'll get the joke.  :)

Is there any connection out there?  Anyone who is extraordinary I can learn from so that I can break free from the status quo?  I'm sure there is.  I just have to trust God to lead me to them.  I'm open.

TIME'S UP!

 

6 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm visiting from fmf. Love how you talk about learning from others. Sometimes, I find I look too much to others. I need to realize I'm extraordinary because that is in my dna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. What you said reminds me of something Dr. McGraw said in the book I mentioned. He has us to list several pivotal people in our lives. He shocked the daylights out of me by getting onto the reader for not naming themselves as one of them. Wow.

      Delete
  2. Life IS WAY more than physical appearance.....you have NOTHING to worry about. I have a sister who obsesses SO much about just that, at 50, she looks 20. That's not admirable, it's UNNATURAL. I've learned from others, also. My best friend teaches me much. Sometimes it's what NOT to be, but the teaching is there. I cannot break out of my nothing life. Your life is SO much richer than mine!! You have goals--for each day. You DO things!!! I've forgotten what that's like. My husband and I live in a nice neighborhood....we are in GRAVE DANGER of being cited by the city because our yard is a COMPLETE mess!!! Neither ONE of us has the energy to do anything about it. I cannot clean our house properly. We are out of our horrible crisis, but we're still "dead." I feel like I'm dying....probably am, and it's a GOOD thing. You still have LIFE within you!!! Thank God, and God BLESS you for pursuing it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girlfriend, you make me wish I had the wherewithal to head to MO and see you. I miss you.

      Delete
  3. Girl! You are amazing! I can tell just by reading this short snippet of your writing. I love your breezy style. I hope you will stop by my site and let me encourage you today - you are far from ordinary. Ordinary is a word to use for pencils, toilet paper and meatloaf, not you! You ROCK! Ok, that is all. Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Ordinary is a word used for pencils, toilet paper, and meatloaf, not you!" You crack me up. Thanks for making my day.

      Delete