Friday, October 25, 2013

Blog Challenge Day 25: The Dinner, the Cliff's Notes, and the Wardrobe.

Blog challenge is from Can I Get Another Bottle of Whine
 

Day 25:  If you could have dinner with anyone from history who would it be and what would you eat?

Author C.S. Lewis comes to mind.  Lewis is known for his writings on Christianity and his allegorical novels like the Chronicles of Narnia series.  To be honest, I've not read any of Lewis' non-fiction work and I didn't make it through all of the Narnia books.  So why would I want to have dinner with him?

The story of this man's conversion from being a staunch atheist to being a strong disciple of Jesus Christ is intriguing.  I would like to sit down with C. S. Lewis to give me a crash course in his writings--to give me an insight into how he thinks--to help me understand.  I often hear my Pastor quote from Lewis' works and it whets my appetite for wanting to know more.  However, for some reason, I can't bring myself to try it again.  When I tried to read the Narnia books, I couldn't grasp the allegorical themes and I didn't follow the characters very well.  As an avid reader, my stupidity frustrated me.  They ARE children's books for pity's sake! 

Now, as far as what we would eat.  When I first read the question, I had decided that whomever I named would have chosen the meal.  However, Mr. Lewis was from Ireland, but spent most of his time in England.  With apologies to my UK friends, from what I understand English food is notorious for being very bland.  If we could eat somewhere here in the US, then I'd let him chose what we ate.  If not, I'd be bringing a peanut butter sandwich...or at least a salt shaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment