Thursday, October 17, 2013

Blog Challenge Day 17: They're Grrreat...Sort of.

Blog challenge is from Can I Get Another Bottle of Whine
 

Day 17: What is the one thing you most wish you were great at? 

Anything! 

OK, OK, that was a snarky, cop-out answer.  Let me try again.

There are many things that I know how to do, but wish I could do much better:
  • I wish I was a great friend.  I feel like I take more out of people than put into them.  I lost a good friend who left me stranded in a bus depot in Birmingham,Alabama over it 20 years ago.  I really don't want to do that to anyone else.
  • I wish I was better organized.  I'm great at maintaining order outside of my home, but where I live is far from the organization I can dish out elsewhere.  It may just be that other places have more space and supplies to organize with.  Well, when I get my own house, we'll see then.
  • I wish I was a greater musician and singer.  I've talked about not being sure if my playing is good enough for the masses outside of the church doors, but I am sure that my singing is not.  I don't have a horrible voice, and thanks to Dr. Samuel Brown at JSU, I can hear intervals very well and know when I'm off and can eventually get back on key.  The problem isn't mechanics, it is confidence.  If you ask me to harmonize, I'm there (even if it's not exactly what's written in the music).  If you ask me to sing lead, buy me some new undershorts the day you want me to do it.  I don't know what it is about singing.  If I miss a note playing bass or get a little wild with my drumming, it usually doesn't phase me.  However, if I sing one wrong note, it closes my throat for the duration.  I wish I could sing in front of people like I sing in the car--loud, bold, and free.  Maybe we need to hold services in my car...
  • I wish my cooking was great.  In my quest for health, of course I'm cooking more healthy meals for myself.  I am getting so bored because I only know how to make a few things well.  Surely there is a way to make flavorful, healthy food without using a lot of salt, sugar, butter, or expensive ingredients.  Surely there's more than one way to make a salad.  (Why can't bacon be healthy?)  My baking would be awesome if I could stop breaking an electric hand mixer every Christmas season.  I need a new one now. 
  • I just long to be an all-around great person.  When I'm gone, I want the world to have been better because I was born, not because I died.  Just saying.

2 comments:

  1. I understand your feelings - I wish I were a better friend, too. I'm terrible at remembering their special days and scheduling time to be with them.

    I also wish I were a better singer. I lead music at my church simply because no one else is willing to do it. I'm more comfortable now, but when my voice cracks, I want to run away and hide! This is when I pray, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jarrelea. Singing in our choir for the past year has really helped my voice and stretched my range some. I'm still not ready for that solo yet, though.

    ReplyDelete