Saturday, July 27, 2013

Breaking the Broom: 30-Day Blog Challenge, Day 18

Your wedding/future wedding/wedding you have attended.  
[Blog Challenge:  Day 18] 
 
My niece Shayla's wedding
You ever notice that the word "engaged" has the word "gag" in the middle of it?  - Rosie O'Donnel, Comedienne
 
You'd better remember that every time you pray to the Lord Jesus, you're praying to a single adult. - Mark Lowery, Comedian
 
Marriage is ministry, and unless you're prepared to minister to the man of God, don't mess over him! - Juanita Bynum, Minister
 
I must be an odd bird.  When I was a little girl, I didn't fantasize about Prince Charming showing up and sweeping me off my feet.  My friends were always aggravated with me because I didn't like to play with Barbie and Ken, and when I did, I didn't do it "right." -- You know, Barbie is supposed to date Ken, they fall in love, get married, and live happily ever after. **snort**  As a teenager, I didn't linger over bridal magazines and talk about what my wedding would be like.  As an adult, I've attended a couple of weddings, even been a hostess at one, but as lovely as they were, they frustrated me more than encouraged me. 
 
Now, as a bona fide Old Fart Single, I would like to meet someone special, get married, and have kids (while I still can).  However, I am also very realistic about my issues and the damage that I'm still dealing with.  No man deserves to have to deal with that mess.  Men are tired of damaged, needy women.  I want to be a strong, confident diva, worthy of a good man.
 
With that being said, here's a rundown of a few highlights of my future wedding:
  • I would rent my dress and take a lot of pictures.  Doesn't seem economical to pay hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars for a dress I'm only going to wear once.  Well, what about you daughter?  What about her?  Why should I put pressure on her to wear (and fit into) a dress just because I wore it?
  • My wedding colors will be either red and white (Roll Tide/Go Gamecocks/Boom Thunder) or purple/lavender and white (no team, purple is one of my favorite colors).
  • Speaking of pictures: Yes, I would hire a photographer, but I would also do what my sister Ida did at her wedding.  She had a basket of single-use cameras for us to take pictures and turn back in.  She had all the good pictures put on photo discs to give out.  I read somewhere that this was considered tacky.  It's not tacky, it practical.  Name me one photographer who can be everywhere at once and catch every precious moment with the couple, their families, and their friends?  You can't, can you?
  • I would not put my bridesmaids in ugly dresses.  Now granted, most weddings I've been to, the bridesmaid dresses were cute.  That should be the norm, but it isn't.  I've seen some butt ugly bridesmaid dresses that make me glad I've never been a bridesmaid.
  • Neither my home church nor my current church have center isles...and I LIKE IT.  I do not want the wedding to be all about me.  Most weddings are about the bride, and the groom just kind of sits back and says, "Whatever you want, honey."  No!  This is about both of us.  I want his entrance to be as honored as mine.  The congregation should stand when he enters.  There should be flower petals scattered on the ground to greet the prince and well as the princess.
  • I don't want the traditional "Here Comes the Bride" played at the wedding.  I would like my husband and I to enter to the song "Love" by Petra.  (Video link below)
  • I want solid Bible-based wedding vows.  Some of the traditional vows make me want to flee for the hills.
  • My sister Ida made her
     gorgeous wedding dress
    Sorry, my friends, but I am not jumping the broom.  For those who don't know what that is, jumping the broom is an African American (I call them Black folks) tradition started during the era of slavery.  Since slaves were not allowed to marry, they would signify their union by jumping over a broom or broom handle.  I ain't doin' it!
  • I'm sure that this is tacky, but if something is not in the budget, we're just not going to do it, no matter how fashionable it is.  I remember when a former coworker was getting married, she kept pulling people from work and leaving customers waiting to do freebies for her wedding.  If I can't make it myself or pay someone to do it, it won't be done.  So, yes, my wedding reception may just be everyone meeting over at the Rocket for barbeque. 
  • OK, so if the reception isn't at the Rocket, we will be having an 80's dance party.  If anyone is too stuffy for that, they can go wait in the car!  However, there will not be any alcohol served at the reception.  If that bothers you...you know where the parking lot is.  Neither my husband, nor I will be responsible for any drunk driving accidents, or anything stupid someone does before, during, or after the reception because they were wasted.
  • Instead of the throwing of the bouquet, I would do what my friend, Heather, did at her wedding.  She threw a handful of single silk roses with an encouraging message attached.  That put the emphasis on being satisfied with where we were then, instead of waiting around for Mr. Right, or worse yet, Mr. Good Enough For Right Now.  If my husband is on board, he could throw garters with the same type of message attached.
  • This is a little TMI, but we're only going to be at the reception for an hour, two at most.  I've waited too long for this.  I'm not going into my honeymoon all tired and ill.  When we've eaten and said hey to everyone, we're gone!  C'ya! 
  
{I'm linking up with So, Funny Story http://ktslifeisfunny.blogspot.com for this 30 day  blog challenge.}
 


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your wedding ideas and the reasons why. Our wedding was "low budget", beautiful and mainly had our closest friends and family there. It is a special memory and there was NO debt left behind it. Anyway, we better get an invitation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honey, if I get the man and the marriage proposal, you'll DEFINATELY get an invitation. :)

      Delete