Thursday, June 13, 2013

Friends are Friends Forever, Unless You Want to Take Their Picture: 30-Day Blog Challenge, Day 9

Share a photo of your friends. [Blog Challenge:  Day 9]

I would love to show you some lovely pictures of my friends.  I wish you could see all the sweet ladies in my Sunday school class laughing and hugging.  I long to post pictures of my buddies from Celebrate Recovery celebrating their freedom.  My pictures of my band mates from the Community Band and church music ministry would be awesome to show you…if I had them.  You see, I don’t have any of the pictures.  One, because every digital camera I have ever owned has been really cheap and I refuse to keep blurry photos.  (OCD anyone?)  But there’s an even bigger problem.
 
No matter what size, shape, or color my friends are, the ladies all say the same thing when someone wants to take photos, “Oh don’t!  I look horrible and I feel so fat!”  What has society done to us?  We have a plethora of cameras, camera phones, and digital photo displays, yet pictorial evidence of our fondest memories are absent.  And why?  Because we are ashamed of how we look or because we don’t want evidence that we don’t look like society says we should look.  “Oh yeah, we’ll get good family pictures made when I lose 20 pounds.”  And on it goes until all the family grows up around us or passes on to eternity.  I’m not picking on you.  I’ve done the same thing.  Moments of my life have been lost because of the shame mentality.  I thought about it one day when I realized that the last picture my Dad and I took together is from when I was six years old.  Both my own shame and other people’s shame kept us from taking any other pictures together.  Dad’s been gone for 9 years now, so there's no fixing it. 

 

So, unfortunately, I have nothing recent to share.

 Picture of Daddy and me in 1978

{I'm linking up with So, Funny Story http://ktslifeisfunny.blogspot.com for this 30 Day blog challenge.}

2 comments:

  1. You are so right about the photo thing...so absolutely right on. Since my Dad has been here he's taken a couple of pics of the kids and I and it's just so special to me. I do not like to be in front of the camera. I'm going to work on changing that!! I want a pic of you and I together...I wonder if we could accomplish this long distance...do you Skype??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had Skype on my PC, but took it off because I had no one to Skype with.

      Delete