Wednesday, February 13, 2013

I Can Eat it All.

I Corinthians 10:23 - Everything is permissible (allowable and lawful) for me; but not all things are helpful (good for me to do, expedient and profitable when considered with other things). Everything is lawful for me, but I will not become the slave of anything or be brought under its power. (AMP)


 
I can eat it all; whatever I desire.
It’s fat that I require.
‘Cuz I’m a butter ball;
I’m wider than I’m tall.
I’m pure cholesterol.
I can eat it all.
--Mark Lowry, Comedian

The above song lyrics are funny, but did you know that God had given us the free will to chose what we put into our bodies? In Mark 7:19, Jesus declared all foods "clean." In First Corinthians 6:12, the Apostle Paul re-emphasizes that freedom, however, he asks us to stop and think of our relationship with food. If we are binging on things that are "permissible" but not "helpful," we can become a slave to that particular food. If we have a poor self image and see food as the enemy, we may deny ourselves what is "permissible" and "helpful." Also, what is "permissible" and "helpful" is different for different people, despite what the health gurus say.

God has called us to have a healthy view of food. Jesus said in John 10:10 that He "...came that they may have and enjoy life..." We can enjoy eating, but we must stop and think about what we eat and why we eat it.

What situations or emotions lead you to choose foods that are "permissible" but not "helpful"?

No comments:

Post a Comment