Sunday, February 10, 2013

11 Questions from Jhona O.

I was issued a writing challenge by fellow blogger Jhona O over at her awesome blog We Weirdos Need to Stick Together.  I met Jhona three years ago at my 20 year class reunion.  She’s married to my classmate, Doug.  Our friendship has grown despite the miles (she's in Colorado and I'm in Alabama) and I’m honored to be among her many friends.

11 Facts about me (in no particular order):

  1. I’m wigged out by clowns.  I know that clowns are supposed to represent fun and wackiness, but not to me.  Clowns depress me and creep me out.  The only clown I can deal with is Caesar Romero as the Joker on Batman.
  2. I can’t drive on the interstate.  The thought of it scares the living pee pee out of me.  Every time I’ve ever been on I-20, I was lost. I need a navigator to brave teaching me how to drive on the interstate and work the exits.  I’m serious, I threatened my sister with murder the time she got me lost in Oxford, AL and we ended up in Heflin, AL before we could turn around (my bladder’s filling up just thinking about it, so let’s move on).
  3. Some things I’ve always wanted to learn (other than drive on the interstate J ):
a.                   To play tennis.

b.                  To work a hula-hoop.

c.                   To do cartwheels.

d.                  To scuba dive.

e.               To play snare drum with the traditional grip.  I learned matched grip.

f.                   To do chin ups.

g.               To dance (I know it’s ethnically impossible, but I can’t dance).

  1. I would love to travel to every state in the U.S.  I would also like to travel abroad.  I would love to go to the U.K (especially Scotland), Africa (especially Kitale, Kenya), and China.  I would also like to go on a foreign missions trip.
  2. I’m probably the only woman on the planet who truly hates to buy shoes.
  3. I look forward to a day when I can buy socks that aren’t white.
  4. I love being an auntie.  I want to be a mommy someday, but I really love being an auntie.
  5. I kept the baby doll I got my first Christmas in Jacksonville until I was 30 years old.  She looked a hot mess when I finally threw her away, but I kept her.
  6. This may sound very selfish, but one thing I want out of life is an awesome birthday party with good presents.  The only problem is that it’s tacky to throw oneself a birthday party (plus, I tried it when I was 15 and it was a disaster) and I’m not arrogant enough to think that someone else would throw me one.
  7. I’ve been a bass guitarist and drummer for more than 20 years.
  8. I’ve been a crafter since the early 90’s.  I crochet, paint, cross stitch, stitch plastic canvas, sew (a little) and knit (even less than I sew).
Now, the 11 questions:

  1. What year did you accept Jesus into your heart? 1986.  I was 14.
  2. What was the turning point for you to accept Jesus in your heart?  Ever since I was kid, I knew that there was a God, but didn’t understand Him at all.  I started going to church when I was 9, but although I was baptized into membership to that church, there was no Bible teaching, no explanation of salvation, and, scary as it sounds, no mention of Jesus Christ, not even at Christmas or Easter.  I left there when I was 12.  At age 14, a friend invited me to her church and I went.  It was first time I saw a minister open the Bible and actually explain who this Jesus was and His loving sacrifice for me.  I gave my heart to Christ that day as best I understood it.  Although I had a LOT of learning and growing to do, it’s a decision I’ve never regretted. 
  3. What is one thing you learned from 2012 and are taking it with into 2013?  That when someone constantly shows you that your health and safety don’t matter, it’s time to let them go, no matter how much you love them.  I also learned that the hopes and dreams God has given me should mean more than other people’s BS.  Sure, I can try to please everyone else, but if God isn’t pleased, it doesn’t amount to anything.  Plus, I just don’t have any more time, energy, and nerves to waste!  My theme for this year is “Don’t Go Out Like a Punk.”  I’ve had some pretty crappy things happen to me the past few years and I’m ready for change.  I’ve already made several changes and am working on several more.
  4. Coffee or Tea?  It depends.  I love coffee with flavored creamers in the mornings and when I’m feeling sluggish and need a pick me up.  But, when I was in undergraduate school, a couple of exchange students from Russia turned me on to Earl Grey tea (plus, I really liked Star Trek:  the Next Generation).  So, I like “tea, Earl Grey, hot” with cream and sugar (not a lot).  Now do you see why I want to go to Great Britain?
  5. What are your hopes for your blog this year? To have more consistent posts.  To have more people reading it.  To have more interaction from those who read the blog.  I really want to see that what I’m saying is helping someone else and I’m not just rambling.  J
  6. What's your favorite Bible verse?  Psalm 51:12-13 - Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.13Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
  7. What's your favorite story in the Bible?  The story of the prodigal son in Luke 15.  We’ve all been the prodigal at one time or another and it’s awesome that Father God is waiting on the porch looking for us to come home so that he can love and restore us..
  8. What is your favorite home decor style?  I don’t know.  I don’t yet own a house, but have been decorating one in my mind.  I like a traditional livingroom and bedroom (I like stuff that matches), but want to do crazy stuff in my bathrooms, office, and basement.  Well, when I get the house, we’ll see how it pans out.
  9. What is your greatest passion in life? To take all the life lessons I've learned from the Lord and share them with everyone who wants to hear.  I don’t want anyone to make the same mistakes I made. 
  10. What is your favorite color for this year in regards to fashion and or home? For fashion, I like black and red, and as stated earlier, to buy socks that aren’t white.  My home?  I’m not doing much because I hope to get out of my apartment and move somewhere else.
  11. What is your favorite dessert?  Ice cream, especially vanilla and butter pecan.
Well, Jhona, what do you think?  ;)

1 comment:

  1. I think you are so fabulous! I also wonder how you're going to get to the airport without getting on the interstate so that you can go on your adventures:) I once saw a bathroom online where a family sent letters to all kinds of famous people and they asked them about their favorite jokes or quotes. She then framed their responses and placed them in the guest bathroom. I love that idea! I am working on my health, too. You are truly an inspiration to me and remind me continuously to persevere and even to just keep pushing! I'm SO happy that we met three yrs ago! You are a blessing to my life!

    ReplyDelete