Friday, January 21, 2022

2022 Book It Reading Challenge: Introduction

Artwork by Shannon Maddox, aka "Auntie."

The Flip and Sip Reading Challenge has come to a close.  It was a very productive reading year.  I finished 60 books, exceeding my goal of 50.  I only had one "Ain't nobody got time for that" volume this time around.

This year, I'm going to slow down my reading goals (thus the irony of calling it a "book it" challenge, since the phrase usually indicates speed).  There were several books over the years that I feel that I didn't get the most out of.  They included journaling or participation in certain activities to get the most out of the volume.  I want to take the time to go back and read and participate.  So, my 2022 goal for the year is 12 books (one book a month).  I'm sure I'll read more than that, but it takes the pressure off me to produce quantity over quality.

NOTE:  In early April, I upped my goal to 20 after I passed the 12 mark.  In late May, I upped it to 40 after passing 20.  After I passed that goal, I just let her eat!

If you'd like to follow my reading progress, see my Goodreads page.

Like my other reading challenges, this one doesn't have any specific instructions or types of required books.  However, some books may be part of various categories.  Examples include:

  • Kiddie Lit -children's books.
  • Recommended Reads - books recommended by what I hope are trustworthy sources.
  • Glorious rereads - books I enjoyed so much that I'm reading them again.
  • Everybody's Reading It - books that everybody and their grandma read that I'm just now getting to.
  • Nobody Admits to Reading It - books that others have said to stay away from (whether they've read them or not).
  • Impulse Reads - Books I bought, borrowed, or checked out of the library for no other reason than "hey, this looks interesting."
  • "Potty" Books - No, it's not what you think.  I noticed that I was spending my extended visits in the potty scrolling on my phone and/or playing a game (at least it was Words With Friends, so I was feeding my brain somewhat).  Don't act shocked; I know some of y'all do it too.  Before the days of cell phones, I used to keep books and magazines in my bathroom for those times.  This year, I'm running and experiment.  I want to see how many books I can read during those times.  I see enough screens during the day, so I'm reading paper books.
My rating systems is as follows:

✮✮✮ = Outstanding
✮✮✮ = Pretty good
✮✮ = Could have been better / could have been worse.
= Not so great
Zero stars =
Ain't nobody got time for that = DNF (did not/would not/could not finish)

Whether you read one book or 100 this year, I would enjoy some company.  Drop in a comment once and a while to let me know how it's going. Yes, I know I say this every year...I mean it every year.

So, what are your reading goals for 2022?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Books Read and Reviewed:

Completed books will be marked as a link to the review or Goodreads comments.

Book 01
Book 02 - A glorious reread
Book 03 - A glorious reread
Book 04 - A glorious reread
Book 05

Read, but not Reviewed:

  1. Christian Apologetics by Douglas Groothuis
  2. Our Daily Biscuit by Todd Starns and Michelle Cox 
  3. Knowing God's Will by R. C. Sproul
  4. Come Before Winter and Share My Hope by Charles R. Swindoll
  5. The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams Bianco
  6. Show Up for Your Life by Chrystal Evans Hurst
  7. The Art of Writing and the Gifts of Writers by C. S. Lewis
  8. Boundaries by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend
  9. Discipling by Mark Dever
  10. Emotionally Healthy Spirituality by Peter Scazzero
  11. How to Write a Lot by Paul Sylvia
  12. Discipled by Jesus by Robert Gelinas
  13. Hearing God by Dallas Willard
  14. The Road Back to You by Ian Morgan Cron
  15. Living Above the Level of Mediocrity by Charles R. Swindoll
  16. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F--k by Mark Manson
  17. The Good and Beautiful God by James Bryan Smith (a glorious reread)
  18. Chasing Vines by Beth Moore (a recommended read)
  19. Resolving Everyday Conflict by Ken Sande
  20. Strengthening Your Grip by Charles R. Swindoll
  21. How Can I Cultivate Private Prayer by Joel Beeke
  22. Jesus:  The Open Door by Kenneth Hagin Sr.
  23. Conflict Free Living by Joyce Meyer
  24. The Peacemaker by Ken Sande
  25. It's Not Too Late by Tony Evans
  26. Art and Faith:  A Theology of Making by Makoto Fujimur
  27. Soul Keeping by John Ortberg 
  28. The Joy of Movement by Kelly McGonigal
  29. How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age by Dale Carnegie.
  30. Improving Your Serve by Charles R. Swindoll
  31. Dropping Your Guard by Charles R. Swindoll
  32. The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter
  33. The Tale of Mrs. Tuttlemouse by Beatrix Potter
  34. The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck by Beatrix Potter
  35. The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry by John Mark Comer
  36. The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle by Beatrix Potter
  37. Christ the Healer by F. F. Bosworth
  38. Worship by A. W. Tozer
  39. Discipleship by A. W. Tozer
  40. The Great Omission by Dallas Willard
  41. How to Find Your Wealthy Place by Dr. Leroy Thompson
  42. Deep Work by Cal Newport
  43. Maybe You Should Talk to Someone by Lori Gottieb
  44. The Spirit of the Disciplines by Dallas Willard
  45. Growing Deep in the Christian Life by Charles Swindoll 
  46. The Holy Bible: English Standard Version
  47. Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places by Eugene Peterson
  48. Prayer by A. W. Tozer 
  49. Eternal Living:  Reflections on Dallas Willar'ds Teaching on Faith and Formation by Gary W. Moon
  50. The Knowledge of the Holy by A. W. Tozer 
  51. Going Higher with God in Prayer by A. W. Tozer
  52. Knowing God by J. I. Packer 
  53.  Concise Theology by J. I. Packer
  54. Watch Your Mouth by Tony Evans
  55. Psalms:  The Prayer Book of the Bible by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  56. The Bullet Journal Method by Ryder Carroll
  57. On Christian Doctrine by St. Augustine
  58. Shepherds Abiding by Jan Karon
  59. The Quiet Little Woman by Louisa May Alcott 
  60. The Jesus Way by Eugene Peterson 
  61. Sanctuary of the Soul by Richard J. Foster

Ain't Nobody Got Time for That!:

Cold Tangerines by Shauna Niequist

1 comment:

  1. I like Crystal Evans Hurst's writings. My reading goal for the year is 200 (I am a fast reader and I listen to audio books which help my goals). I am doing several reading challenges this year, you can check them out here if interested: https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/p/reading-challenges-2022.html

    ReplyDelete