Thursday, December 31, 2020

2021 Flip and Sip Reading Challenge: Introduction

Artwork by Shannon Maddox, aka "Auntie."
 

The It's the Hardback Life Reading Challenge has come to a close.  I exceeded my 40 book reading goal by completing 51 volumes.  Time for a whole new reading challenge.  I'm well aware that I didn't review very many volumes last year.  Hopefully, I'll have more time for reviews this time around.

Like my other reading challenges, this one doesn't have any specific instructions or types of required books.  However, some books may be part of various categories.  Examples include:

  • Kiddie Lit - This year, I want to enjoy more children's books.  As a "retired" preschool teacher, I miss reading good books to children.  Plus, there are books from my childhood and teen years I'd like to revisit.
  • Recommended Reads - books recommended by what I hope are trustworthy sources.
  • Glorious rereads - books I enjoyed so much that I'm reading them again.
  • Everybody's Reading It - books that everybody and their grandma read that I'm just now getting to.
  • Nobody Admits to Reading It - books that others have said to stay away from (whether they've read it or not).
  • Impulse Reads - Books I bought, borrowed, or checked out of the library for no other reason than "hey, this looks interesting." 
My rating systems is as follows:

✮✮✮ = Outstanding
✮✮✮ = Pretty good
✮✮ = Could have been better / could have been worse.
= Not so great
 

Ain't nobody got time for that = DNF (did not/would not/could not finish)

Since I have exceeded by reading goal for the past couple of years, I'm going to increase my yearly goal to 50 books this year.  If you'd like to follow my reading progress, see my Goodreads page.

Whether you read one book or 100 this year, I would enjoy some company.  Drop in a comment once and a while to let me know how it's going. Yes, I know I say this every year...I mean it every year.

So, what are your reading goals for 2021?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Books Read and Reviewed:

Completed books will be marked as a link to the review or Goodreads comments.

Book 01 - A glorious reread     Book 06
Book 02                                   
Book 03                                   
Book 04                                   
Book 05                                   

Read, but not Reviewed:

  1. God With Us by Charles Spurgeon
  2. On Prayer and the Contemplative Life by Thomas Aquinas
  3. The Shorter Catechism With Scriptural Proofs by the Westminster Assembly
  4. C. S. Lewis:  A Life by Alister McGrath
  5. Introducing Theological Method by Mary M. Veeneman
  6. No Greater Love by Mother Teresa
  7. Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis
  8. A Commonsense Guide to Fasting by Kenneth E. Hagin
  9. The Confessions of Saint Augustine by Augustine of Hippo
  10. Walk With Jesus:  Stations of the Cross by Henri Nouwn
  11. Martin Luther in His Own Words by Martin Luther
  12. Pauses for Lent by Tervor Hudson
  13. The Heart of the Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman
  14. Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer
  15. Interior Castle by Saint Teresa of Avila 
  16. A Little Book on the Christian Life by John Calvin.
  17. Of Prayer and the Christian Life by John Calvin.
  18. Partners in Prayer by John Maxwell
  19. As You Wish:  Inconceivable Tales From the Making of the Princess Bride by Cary Elwes
  20. Be a People Person by John C. Maxwell
  21. Be All You Can Be by John C. Maxwell
  22. The Ministry of Intercession by Andrew Murray
  23. Depression is Contagious by Dr. Michael Yapko -- a recommended read
  24. Sometimes You Win, Sometimes You Learn for Kids by John C. Maxwell - Kiddie Lit
  25. Soul Feast by Marjorie J. Thompson
  26. A Diary of Private Prayer by John Bailie
  27. The Rule of Saint Benedict by Benedict of Nursia
  28. Till He Come by Charles Spurgeon
  29. Atomic Habits by James Clear -- a recommended read
  30. All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten by Robert Fulghum
  31. The Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius of Loyola by Ignatius of Loyola
  32. Sit Walk Stand by Watchman Nee
  33. Follow the Leader by John C. Maxwell
  34. The Autobiography of Saint Ignatius by Ignatius of Loyola
  35. Breaking the Patterns of Depression by Dr. Michael Yapko 
  36. Prevailing Prayer by Dwight L. Moody
  37. The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis
  38. Moody's Great Sermons by D. L. Moody
  39. A Life for Christ by D. L. Moody
  40. Daniel: Man of God by D. L. Moody
  41. The Overcoming Life by D. L. Moody
  42. Sowing and Reaping by D. L. Moody 
  43. 8 Keys to Recovery From an Eating Disorder by Carolyn Costin, et al.
  44. Introduction to a Devout Life by Saint Francis De Sales
  45. With Christ in the School of Prayer by Andrew Murray
  46. A Gathering of Hearts by Lori Wick
  47. It Was on Fire When I Lay Down on It by Robert Fulghum
  48. Uh-Oh by Robert Fulghum
  49. Maybe, Maybe Not by Robert Fulghum
  50. Shepherds Abiding by Jan Karon
  51. The Quiet Little Woman by Louisa May Alcott
  52. Pauses for Advent by Trevor Hudson
Ain't Nobody Got Time for That!:
  • Fifteen Minutes Alone With God by Emilie Barnes. I tried reading this book a long time ago (like decades ago) and couldn't remember why I never finished it.  Now I remember.  This is a good devotional if you are a wife and mom.  For someone not attached, it doesn't give much spiritual insight and really comes off as a "bougie mommy blog."  Seems like her message is that God wouldn't want to spend even 15 minutes with you if you're not married or have children.

No comments:

Post a Comment