Friday, July 3, 2020

Five Minute Friday: "People."





I love people.  That wasn't always the case.  As a child, I was afraid of people.  I wasn't just "shy," or "timid;" I was terrified of people. Only through intervention of the Almighty did that fear ever leave and I became a people person.

I love people, but I don't always love what they do.  I'm sure they could say the same for me.  I'm not always kind, though I try to be.  I don't always love like I should, though I sincerely want to be an example of the love of God to all the people He puts me in contact with.

The prompt brought to mind some lyrics from a Depeche Mode song from the 80s; "People are people, so why should it be you and I should get along so awfully?" (Thank you Casey Kasem's America's Top 40).  I seem to be asking the same question about the world lately.  "Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight."  Why aren't they precious in each other's sight?  This problem won't be solved by politicians, police, or the media.  Until we learn to love God and let Him love us, we have no hope of truly loving our neighbor as ourselves.

16 comments:

  1. Very well said. Love your choices of song lyrics. I can almost remember the one from the 80's. I used to sing the children of the world song over and over as a child. I want to shine the light and hope that I can help love overcome hate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's funny how obscure lyrics like that will hit at strange moments.

      Delete
  2. So true, I think loving others starts with knowing God's love for us and then seeing the love he has for all the people in the world, even those we struggle to relate to or get on with. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been such a trying time to love people, as so much about the world right now is divisive.

    If we could only simply love one another, or at least be kind to one another, treat others as we wish to be treated...what an amazing place this would be.

    And I feel like we've fallen so far from that.

    It's why I seek out messages of positivity whenever I'm online. Thank you for yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way. I try to read or watch things that bring joy to combat the negative messages I'm inundated with.

      Delete
  4. I had a friend/teacher who used to say that we love others AS AN EXPRESSION of our love for God. That really challenges my way of loving my neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "This problem won't be solved by politicians, police, or the media." True words. Thank you for stating them out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also had had the depeche mode song in my mind but never mentioned it in the end. God bless- a fellow fmfer x

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very true! We have to learn to love God first, then ourselves, and then use the love God fills us with to love everyone else. I think too many people fail to love themselves, and they treat others the way they treat themselves :/ (without respect, with bitterness, or unkindness). Stopping by from FMF :).

    ReplyDelete