Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Hearts and Flowers: The Wednesday Medley


Thanks to Terri from
Your Friend From Florida
for the Medley questions.

I think St. Valentine's Day is for everyone, whether you have a romantic love interest or not. I received a Valentine card from my sister (thank you Patti!) - case in point. It is all about LOVE, not just romantic love.  What are your traditions for celebrating Valentine's Day?

Sorry to disagree with you, Mrs. Terri, but saying that Valentine's day isn't about whether or not you have a romantic love interest is like saying church ladies' groups aren't just for married women with children.  Same outcome of pain and exclusion.

Anyway...


I don't have any traditions for the "holiday" as of yet.  It does, however, make me look back on my years as a preschool teacher with fondness.  Christmas and Valentine's Day were the best two days of the school year.  We'd have a class party and I'd buy gifts for all of my students.  So. Much. Fun.

When you were in elementary school, did you decorate a shoe box and deliver those little valentines to all your classmates? Perhaps in Sunday School?

We made those little shoebox mailboxes in elementary school.  Not much fun to make when you take it home empty.

Do you enjoy playing Cupid? Have you ever introduced a couple who really clicked?

Not exactly.  Now, before y'all think I'm anti-romance, rest assured, I'm not.  I remember at my sister Ida's wedding, the minister saying that our job was not to interfere in the couple's marriage, but that since we were there as witnesses before God, our job was to "make sure they stay married."  I took that mandate seriously with all my married friends and family.  To me, that means to pray for the couple and to do my part to encourage unity.  If that means babysitting so the couple can have some time alone, being a neutral 3rd party to help resolve a dispute, or simply offering an encouraging word, I'll do it.  I even DJ'd a couples' dance at my home church...once. 

Which traditional Valentine's Day gift would you rather receive: Chocolate, flowers, or a card with a personal message?

I love flowers.  They don't have to be roses; any pretty flower makes me happy.

What is the best movie to watch on Valentine's Day?

The Princess Bride of course.

Tell us something random about your week!

Nothing spectacular to share.  Sorry.  All this Valentine's Day talk has worn me out and made me sad, so I'll just share a funny Valentine's Day video.

6 comments:

  1. Cute video!! I'm sorry that Valentine's Day is causing you some angst and heartache. I appreciate you joining in today's Medley anyway and respect your opinion!! You know, I have never watched Princess Bride. Time to dial it up on Netflix!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mrs. Terri. The Princess Bride is hilarious. When you watch it, let me know what you think of it.

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry you are sad! It is just another day. Loved your answers! Happy Valentine's Day!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw...no kid should take home an empty Valentine's box! We always had rules about having to give a card to everyone in the class so no one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Stacy. No, it's actually better that way. If the teacher had required that, the other children would have resented it and made my life even more miserable for it.

      Delete