Friday, November 16, 2018

Five Minute Friday: "One"




One.  Just one.  Just one pint of blood is all I needed to give.  Number eight on my 101 in 1001 v. 2 list was to donate blood at least five times.  This should have been a challenge, not an impossibility.  However, my last five attempts to donate have been dismal failures.  Today was the last straw.  Unlike the last three attempts, they actually did get to the needle sticking part.  About five minutes into it, the process was aborted because air got into the tube, my blood started to clot, and the tube leading into the blood collection bag clogged.  I decided right then that I wasn't going to try to give blood anymore.

I've been a donor since college, so several gallons of my blood have been used to save lives.  So, being unable to preform this one simple act of service saddens me deeply.  My one pint of blood could go anywhere and help anyone since I am "O" type (universal donor).  But after five unsuccessful tries, I think the message is clear--it's time to stop.

This is one thing I cannot do anymore.

2 comments:

  1. That is a bummer. I will be praying that the blood you have already donated would expand - the people your blood saved would donate their blood, or they would save lives in other ways. Just like the loaves and fishes, may your blood go far and wide and beyond anything you can imagine. Your deposits have been made. You are released to give in new ways, you are definitely a universal donor according to the One who donated His blood for you. God bless you! Much Love from FMF #38.

    ReplyDelete