Thursday, July 26, 2018

Defeat the Hair of Defeat [My Mythical Year]

For information on My Mythical Year click here.
 
My hair's gone up.
My hair's gone down.
My hair's gone all around.


Modified Corn Rows
Sixth grade.
When I was in graduate school, I participated in a Group Counseling class exercise where we were to give our hair history.  This exercise revealed both fun and interesting facts about my classmates.  It also brought out some of my own long forgotten memories.

God bless the 80's...
I think
As a young girl, my hair meant a great deal to me.  There wasn't anything particularly special about it, but it was the only part of me that I felt was pretty.  I had the typical ponytails or plaits (we pronounce it "platts."), plus the occasional cornrows.  I have what's known as "course, resistant" hair--what we call "nappy."  Early on, my mom straightened my hair with a metal comb she heated on the stove top.  Later, we learned about chemical straightening.  Then the 80's came...and the invention of the Jherri Curl.  I kept that style off and on until the mid 90's.

Unfortunately, my history does include a couple of negative entries:
  • The first time I was ever teased at school was over my hair.  They got to the glasses and the fat body later.
  • I've had a couple of hair tragedies.  Once, I had a Jerri Curl put in and neither I, nor my parents knew that my scalp hadn't healed from having Chicken Pox.  We figured that since my face had completely healed, my scalp had as well.  Nope.  The treatment left my scalp a blistered, bleeding mess.  My dad ended up taking me to our cousin's barber shop to have all my long locks cut off. The second hair loss was more of a financial tragedy than a mishap with scissors or chemicals.  I had been 
    My "Broke" Haircut
    getting my hair done at the local salon, but couldn't afford to continue doing so, plus at the time I didn't know how to do it myself.  Again, I trucked off to a barber (a couple from church owned a barbershop, not my cousin's place again) and get an $8 cut with the #2 guard on a set of clippers (they explained it so I could cut it myself).  Again, I watched my long tresses hit the floor and be swept into the trash.  That haircut not only traumatized me, but my preschool class.  It took them a couple of days for them to adjust to it; I never did.  Dave Ramsey once said that when he was struggling financially, his wife made him tuna sandwiches every day for lunch.  So, when he eats tuna, he feels broke.  Every time I broke out my clippers or saw my hair, I not only felt broke, but also defeated. 
Through the years, I've tried to keep up with my own hair; all to mediocre success.  I could only pull off two styles consistently:




The French Twist.








The "part it and comb it the best you can."





Honorable mentions (no pictures) are (1) Sleeping in about 12 pounds of curlers, giving myself a headache while hoping the curls held for more than a day and (2) trying to curl my hair with a curling iron that will burn the snot out of my hand or ear, but won't curl my hair worth a crap.

My new cut (back)
Fast forward to today and my new home in the arid climate of Colorado.  My Alabama hair did not take to the climate well at all.  I've slathered my hair with conditioners and different oils and moisturizers, yet they simply sit on the surface of my hair and wear out in a day.  My shoulder-length tresses morphed into the consistency of a hay bale.  I've continued the fight for nearly a year.  Then, the thought hit me:  Why am I fighting this?  What do I win?  Can I win?  For me, winning this battle is letting it go.  Winning the battle is to stop trying to hang on to some past beauty that never existed.  So, last Sunday with stomach churning and sample pictures on my phone, I headed to the Super Cuts across the street from work and told the stylist to go for it.

From the front
(Sorry it's blurry)
It's been more than a week now since the shearing, and I'm still liking it.  Yes, it's short, but it's a feminine style.  It's long enough in the top that I can spike it when I'm in a silly mood.  I'm still on the hunt from products that will work with my hair texture and the dry air.  I may grow it out again someday, but right now, I'm happy.

Well, let's see what my next Mythical Merit Badge will be?

By the way, I'll post the picture of my badge later.  It's been stuck in Texas somewhere for more than a week and the estimated delivery date has changed at least once.  Thanks, DHL!

UPDATE: After nearly a month (!!) my badge and Ear Biscuit jar finally came in:


6 comments:

  1. Your new hairstyle looks great! I've had a lot of hairstyles that were less than successful, too. I have naturally super curly hair that always wanted to frizz and do its own thing. The only time I was happy with it was a couple of years in the 80s when big hair was in. My hair did "big" hair great! Sometimes I have had longer hair, often it's been short. Then about 10 years ago I grew it out and got myself a Brazilian blow-out. I had poker straight hair for the first time in my life and I loved it. I kept that look for about 5 years, but I began to feel bad about the cost. Enter Deva Curl. I met a girl on a trip to Tennessee who had the most beautiful head of red, frizz-free curls...in July...in Tennessee. She told me about Deva Curl and eventually I found someone trained in Deva cuts up here in PA. Now I'm embracing my curls and (mostly) loving them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Stacy.

      Yeah, finding a hairstyle that doesn't drive you crazy (or broke) is hard.

      Delete
  2. I love your hair history stories. Don't we all have our own adventures of life with our hair?!!!

    You have a wonderful sense of humor; I enjoy reading your blog. Keep it up!

    BTW, currently my hair is shorter than what's in my profile picture. I love how Florida's humidity gives my hair some body and/or curl. During my Colorado days, my hair was always dry, straight, and difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara. So you get how this hair Russian Roulette goes.

      Delete