Friday, January 19, 2018

Five Minute Friday: "Intentional"



Intentional.

My football mind went immediately to the term intentional grounding.  According to Wikipedia:
In gridiron football, intentional grounding is a violation of the rules where 'a passer...throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.'This typically happens when a quarterback about to be sacked passes the ball toward an area of the field with no eligible receiver. Were it not for this rule, the quarterback could easily turn the sack into an incomplete pass which, by rule, would advance the ball back to the line of scrimmage.
How long I spent intentionally grounding my life--doing just enough to survive and hopefully not get hit, but nothing that shows any real advancement.  Intentional grounding takes very little risk since the ball is thrown where there's no eligible receiver-no chance for a interception.

I know about life trying to hit me.  I know about merely trying to survive.  I also know about not giving anyone the chance to offer assistance--to help me run the ball, as it were.  Just like the quarterback who is penalized 10 yards, there is great harm in an intentionally grounded life.  Just like it takes a good coach and ticked off teammates to get it through the player's head that you can't do that and win the game, it takes mentors and accountability partners to help me get out of the habit of grounding the ball when it gets tough.

4 comments:

  1. What an interesting take on the word intention. I had never heard of intentional grounding before. You're so right - most of us spend far too much time just getting by and not accepting help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it makes life harder than it should be.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. That's very interesting. Since I am a football fan it makes a lot of sense. We need to have a goal - someone to pass the ball to. Not just blindly move on. We need to be humble and ask for help.
    Blessings
    Janis
    #68 FMF

    ReplyDelete