Sunday, May 14, 2017

Taking it Off Repeat: The Simple Woman's Daybook

If you would like to join in and post your own Daybook, please head on over to visit Peggy at The Simple Woman's Daybook

For Today:  Sunday, May 14, 2017
 

Outside my window  Sunny skies and unseasonably warm temperatures.  The honeysuckle smells glorious.

I am thinking...  too much and stressing myself out.

I am thankful...  For good rest and healthy food to refuel and recharge my body.
 
From the Workshop...  I still have several projects going, but none completed.  Hopefully this week will prove to be a productive one in the Workshop.


I am reading... I recently finished Man's Search For Meaning by Dr. Viktor Frankl.  The author describes the experiences and psychological damage suffered by him and his fellow prisoners in a Nazi concentration camp during World War II.   I'd read it my freshman year of college.  My reaction was much different this time.  OK, I understand intellectually and spiritually the nature of evil and that there exists many sadistic evil people.  However, my soul cannot comprehend that kind of blatant disregard from a fellow human being simply because of racial, religious, or cultural differences.  I know that my own country took the Native American Indian, the African slave and the Japanese immigrant through similar dehumanization, so we in America are not immune.  Yes, all that was before my time, however, don't we have some of this evil disregard going on today?  I still think of the recent footage of that poor elderly man who was gunned down for the world to see.  I think of the young man who murdered nine people who showed him nothing but love and respect.  Yes, these are individual cases and we don't have systematic segregation and government-approved mass killings of "undesirables" in play, however, Frankl's account reminds us that given the right circumstances and the continued choice of our citizens to be ignorant of history, it could happen again.  Heaven forbid!
 
I am learning... Speaking of reading:  Along with other materials, I'm reading Joyce Meyer's book Beauty for Ashes.  This book is teaching me more about myself, my relationship to God, and my relationships with others.  This is not a self-help book written by some psychologist doing an experiment; she's lived through some major abuse in her life and been set free through the power of God.  She points out that there is no other way to freedom.  I hope to be another degree of free by the time I finish reading the book, praying through the issues she beings out, and studying the scripture references she includes.  Yep, it's a goodn'!
 
Favorite quote(s) of the week

"The problem with a self-made man is that he worships his creator." - Pastor Rick Warren

"The prisoner who had lost his faith in the future--his future--was doomed.  With his loss of belief in the future, he also lost his spiritual hold; he let himself decline and be subject to mental and physical decay." - Dr. Viktor Frankl
 
I am looking forward to...  Learning to have a life worth looking forward to.  I know that sounds morbid, but think about where I've come from.  A couple of years ago, I was ready to hang it up and get out of here.  After much prayer, counseling, and soul searching, I want to live.  The only problem is, I don't really know how...yet. I've got my long term things to look forward to, but not sure how to have daily things to look forward to.  More accurately, I'm not sure what is proper to look forward to other than special events.
 
And now for something totally different...

Five minute Friday word of the week:    Should

 


From Facebook:  R. Spoon shared:

From Facebook:  Musical Humor shared:



From Facebook:  A. Crook shared:




















 

No comments:

Post a Comment