Friday, March 3, 2017

Five Minute Friday: "Purpose"


On purpose.
Live with purpose.
Purpose driven.
Purpose statement.
Accidently on purpose.

According to the Catechism, the chief end, or purpose, of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.  More than ever, I want to fulfill that purpose.

I said I want to, but I don't think I can, no matter how hard I try.

Quite honestly, I can't see the purpose of my life as an example to everyone on how not to live, though that's what it feels like.  What would be the point of that?  Yes, I know that Zig Ziglar said "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes and the rest of us have to be the other people."  I'm tired of being the other people.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic (no, I'm not going to apologize for not lying), but I'm getting old, y'all.  And this continued existence of not knowing my true calling and purpose in life is getting old too.  I'm done with everything being up in the air and hanging by a thread all the time.  I tired of feeling like I'm in God's will one moment, but not in the next.  Cat and mouse is not my game.

Is it really possible to know my purpose, or must I continue to stumble in the dark?
-----
Prompts provided by Mrs. Kate over at Heading Home.

3 comments:

  1. OH hello there! Don't be discouraged. God is not finished with you yet. God doesn't want us to "do". He wants us to "be". He wants us to read His Word, pray and listen to His voice. This all takes time. He wants us to live with HIm - that's His purpose. Ours is to follow Him, love Him and be with Him every moment of the day. And yes we fail - we are human, tainted with sin. But He has grace and mercy.
    Many blessings and I will pray that you can find the purpose of being with Him.
    Janis
    FMF #71

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isaiah 1:19 - If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land: 20 But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.

      James 1:22 - But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

      II Timothy 2:21 - Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work.

      Sounds like God wants us to do some "doing," not just sitting around being useless.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for your honesty. I love what the catechism says about our purpose. It is not always easy to live it out in the day to day. I pray that God gives you wisdom and clarity as you continue your journey of figuring out His purposes for you.

    ReplyDelete