Saturday, February 18, 2017

2017 Reading Quest 07

Book:  Shoot Low Boys, They're Ridin' Shetland Ponies.

Author: Lewis Grizzard

Info:  Copyright 1985: Atlanta:  Peachtree Publishers.

Where acquired: Audio library check out.

Rating (on a scale of 1-4 stars):  ✮✭✭ 

Category:  Glorious rereads.  I read this for the first time in my early 20's.

What it's about:  In his travels across this country, Grizzard goes in search of true grit--that characteristic of undaunted intestinal fortitude that makes the human soul unstoppable.  He seldom found it where he looked, but found it most in places unexpected.

Favorite Quotes:

On patriotism:  My father, of course, was a super patriot throughout his life, and one of his great pleasures was singing The Star Spangled Banner.  He was one of the few people who could sing it without bruising the ears of those around him, and he missed no opportunity to bellow it out loud and clear.  Once at a baseball game we attended together, he sang so loudly that everyone turned around and stared.  When we sat down, I said:  'Daddy, it embarrasses me when you sing the National Anthem that loud.' 'Son,' he replied, 'it embarrasses me when you don't.'"

On dogs:  "I don't like pampered children, and I don't like papered dogs. I want a dog with character and personality; one who had to turn over a trash can once in a while just to keep food in his stomach.  And I like a dog who knows enough about where puppies come from that he can choose his own mate and take care of business without waiting for some high-hatted human to 'arrange' a canine tete-a-tete for him."

"True grit.  John Wayne had it, but so do a lot of other people of far less fame.  Folks who have overcome overwhelming odds, have fought and won, and fought and lost, have spit in the devil's eye, have soared with eagles despite being surrounded by turkeys, have kissed enumerable frogs in search of a prince, have been bloodied and bullied, and tricked and tangled, and peed on and pissed off.  They're out there everywhere--these unsung heroes."

"Most of the things your mother told you are true.  Disregard the part about eating liver to live longer; it's not worth it."

"If you have to shoot it, don't drink it."

What I Liked:
  • I'm a self-confessed "old soul," so many of the attitudes on true grit presented by Grizzard mirror my own.  Not all, but some.
  • I know I say this every time I read Grizzard's work, but much of this material had me latterly laughing out loud.
What I didn’t like: 
  • I'm used to him bashing television evangelists, but in my opinion, he goes too far into the sacrilegious in this one.
Takeaway:  Not much in the takeaway department, just another fun volume from Grizzard.

No comments:

Post a Comment