Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Don't Believe Me? Just Watch: The Weekly Hodgepodge

Want to join the party?  Come on over to From This Side of the Pond  for the Hodgepodge link-up!


Share one favorite moment/memory from your Christmas holiday.

On Christmas Sunday, our Pastor preached a message called "Unwrapped" where he had the kids in the church join him for an unwrapping session.  As the children unwrapped each gift, he would explain what the gift meant.  Each gift (a clock, a pair of shoes, a wallet, etc) represented what we could give the Lord as a gift all year (our time, our talents, our resources, etc).  You have to understand, Pastor Staples has a serious, scholarly personality.  That all got thrown out the window when he dealt with this gaggle of children.  It was so stinking hilarious.  Experience with preschoolers teaches that there's always that ONE kid who's going to answer EVERY question you ask, whether they know the answer or not.  They will come up with something. There was one particular little boy who came up with some zingers.  Pastor's quote, "This isn't turning out exactly how I planned."  Yep, but it sure was funny.
What was the best thing you ate over the holidays? Was it homemade or store bought? If it was homemade did you make it?
 
As I mentioned in a previous hodgepodge, I was considering going to Effina's and eating their Voodoo Pasta.  I vacillated back and forth about whether it was ostentatious or wasteful to buy myself an expensive meal.  It was neither...it was freaking delicious! 
What was one of the most beautiful things you saw over the holidays?
 

The Ladiga Trail for my Christmas Day walk.  The weather was perfect.  The only thing that would have made it better is some friends to chat with.
What does fresh start mean to you?

It means another chance to get things right.  It means another opportunity to learn.  A fresh start means all the false starts and mess ups won't be allowed.  It means a clean page to start writing a new chapter of life.  Yeah, I know it sounds like a cliché, but it's true. 
On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being very positive and 1 being not so great) how would you rate 2016 in terms of personal achievement and well being? Explain. 
A two, maybe.  I really didn't meet any goals.  The problem was, I set them, and then never looked at them again.  I couldn't tell you where I wrote them down.  I'm doing things differently this year.
Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English. Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse, or just general uselessness. Go here to read more about how the words were chosen or, if you're like me, to find out what in the world the word or phrase even means or the context in which it's used. There were quite a few on this year's list I'd never heard before.  Here's the 2017 list of banished words- You, Sir-focus-Bete Noire-Town Hall Meeting-Post Truth-guesstimate-831-historic-manicured-echo chamber-on fleek-bigly-ghost-Dadbod-listicle-get your dander up-selfie drone-frankenfruit-disruption. Which word on the list would you most like to see banished in 2017? What word or phrase would you add to the list?
First, who made these people the authority?  Second, I've not heard of many of these words so I don't have a dog in this fight.  Third, who cares?  If a word is being used properly what difference does it make.  Why don't we spend time getting rid of some really damaging words--racism, sexism, poverty, cancer, loneliness, depression, you know, stuff like that.  
Large or small, light or deep, share with us one goal you have for the new year. 
Each year, the Anniston Runners Club (ARC) has a mileage reward program.  An average of a mile a day (365, well 366 for leap year) wins the participant a pair of ARC socks.  Two a day (730, or 732 for leap year) garners an ARC visor.  The ultimate is the 1200 club--a average of 100 miles a month.  Not only does that win you an ARC jacket, but elite status.  I've been a member of the club for 3 years and each time I've only managed to win the socks. This year, I'm going for the jacket.  Even if I don't make it (I believe I will), I'll have walked and run more miles that I ever have.
Insert your own random thought here.

This song isn't new, but I'm usually late to latch on to good music.  I've been walking to this song all week.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment