Sunday, August 28, 2016

Killing Kudzu: The Simple Woman's Daybook

If you would like to join in and post your own Daybook, please head on over to visit Peggy at The Simple Woman's Daybook

For Today:  Sunday, August 28, 2016
 

Outside my window  In a word...HOT.  I've got such a severe case of cabin fever that's it's turned in to cabin malaria. While I don't want to rush the seasons, cooler temperatures can't get here fast enough.

I am thinking...  The hiatus I took from social media in July was both the best and worst thing I could have done.  The best, because when I signed back on, I found I didn't miss it as much as I thought I would.  In fact, it's really getting on my nerves and I'm spending less and less time on it.  The worst, because though I'm still taking proactive measures to find community, I'm still as lonely and disconnected as ever.  It's pathetic and ridiculous.

I am thankful...  Honestly, I'm not feeling very thankful right now.  I'm running out of cheer up juice.
 
From the Workshop...

Keeping with the upcoming fall season, I made a scarecrow wreath for this month's senior dance prize.

Getting ready for the Christmas bazaar by starting my snow tree items.  More to come.

I painted this from the photograph I took of the magnolias on the Ladiga Trail.



I am reading...  I just finished one of the newer Mitford series books by Jan Karon.  The review is here.  A couple of friends and I are reading the book Crazy Love by Francis Chan together.  It's been pretty interesting. We're just getting to the meat of the book, so I don't know what to make of it yet.

In my read through the Bible, I'm about halfway through Ezekiel.  God willing, I'm going to do an exhaustive study of the Bible starting in 2017.  Much of the Old Testament is still a mystery to me.  I need to dig in and gain more understanding.

I am learning... I learned that change, though annoying, isn't always bad.  Jacksonville Wal-Mart has changed their craft department again (add appropriate cuss words here).  I was in need of Folk Art white acrylic paint for the painting above, and of course, they've quit stocking it.  I normally don't fool with any other brand, but I didn't have time to drive to Lenlock, Oxford, or Gadsden to see if the other Wal-Marts still carried it, nor was a trip to Hobby Lobby feasible.  I tried the Daler-Downey brand on display and found that I really enjoyed creating with it.  This paint is very creamy and stays wet longer, thus it's easier to blend.  I think I'm going to like it...that is, until Wal-Mart changes things again.

Favorite quote(s) of the week

"Can we take a moment to appreciate fine china? I have a theory that much of the rudeness-ugliness-impatience in the world today stems from that moment we started drinking coffee on the run in ginormous disposable cups." - Joyce Daley, blogger: From This Side of the Pond.

"His relationship with Emma Newland [retired church secretary] personified what he'd heard about childbirth--one forgot the agony 'til the next time around." - Jan Karon, Somewhere Safe With Somebody Good.

"I'd rather hear an eighteen year old with faith than I had some wore out 40 year old who ain't got nothing but religion." - Kenneth Copeland

"Do you ever feel like Kudzu to the people around you--nobody wants you, and they try anything to get you to go away?" - Auntie's musings.
 
I am looking forward to... 
  • The opening kickoff of college football season this weekend.  Jacksonville State's first game is Thursday night.  Alabama's kickoff is Saturday night. 
  • The holiday weekend and getting some quiet refreshing rest.
  • Trying a couple of new 5ks in October.
  • The Marching Southerners reunion in November.

In the kitchen... Ok, I know I wasn't going to do posts on food, but I finally got make something out of Auntie's test kitchen for someone other than ME.  I made this for a ladies' potluck Friday night.  They picked the bowl clean,  I'd say it was a success.  BTW--I know I need to get back to that blog series.  I'm working on it.

And now for something totally different...
  
 
From Facebook:  J.Scull shared:

From Facebook:  M.Cheyne shared:

 

2 comments:

  1. I've read some of the Mitford series. I liked it. My mom used to keep them on her church library.

    ReplyDelete