Friday, April 29, 2016

Lose Your Quit Quest 30

Step 30:  Be brave enough to brag.

Galatians 6:4 (King James Version) - But let every man prove his own work, and then shall he have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another.

Sometimes you have to be your own best cheerleader.  There are always going to be haters, trolls, and critics who want to pee on your progress.  Even those who love and support you don't always understand what you're trying to accomplish. 

If you don't cheer yourself on, the encouragement of others will fall on deaf ears.  You must believe what God says about you and what you say about you in order to even hear the positive words of others.  The process includes some healthy bragging.

Healthy bragging?  Wait, isn't bragging the sin of pride?

It depends.

If your bragging is all about being better than someone else--making someone else look small to make you look big--it isn't healthy for you or for those you feel you must dehumanize to feel better about yourself. 

If your bragging is on what God has helped you accomplish, it gives Him glory and helps your self esteem.  It's just like what I talked about in the gratitude step, the more thankful you are, the more things you find to be thankful for.

So what can I brag about at the end of this series?
  • I lost 2 pounds. Yes I know the goal was 5, but to struggle through and lose any is a victory.  Quite honestly, I may have lost more, but this week was hormone week and I was retaining a lot of water, so I'm not sure my weigh in was correct.  Not an excuse; it is what it is.
  • I've increased the free weights I use in class from 5lbs to 8lbs.
  • I'm feeling stronger and gaining muscle.
  • I medaled for the first time in a 5k race.
  • My 5k race times have gotten slightly faster over the past 30 days.
  • I did a 20 mile bike ride and signed up for the Ladiga Cruise; my first cycling related event.
  • I got some good news from my doctor's appointment.
  • I've not had any major depressive episodes this month.
  • I finished the series and didn't quit.
So, what kind of healthy brag do you have for this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment