Sunday, June 7, 2015

Customer Service: The Simple Woman's Daybook

If you would like to join in and post your own Daybook, please head on over to visit Peggy at The Simple Woman's Daybook

For Today:  Sunday, June 7, 2015
 

Outside my window …  Warm, humid skies that make me want to take to my bed.  I had such plans for this afternoon, but I'm feeling absolutely dreadful.  I've had a nap; perhaps I need another one.

I am thinking...   about the concept of self-esteem.  When I was a kid, the school counselors told me I didn't have any.  As a teenager and young adult, well meaning, yet ignorant, church people told me that even caring about self-esteem was evil and selfish.  Really?  Oh yeah, and I bought that load of crap for a long time.  Yes, the Bible does say not to think of myself more highly that I ought (Romans 12:3).  However, what is the "more highly" measure?  In context, the Apostle Paul is encouraging the church of Rome not to think like the world but to be humble before God and learn what His will is (vv 1-2).  Then he goes on to say to think according to the faith of God and the believer's position in the body of Christ.  In other words, the "more highly" measure is established by the Lord Himself.  He wants us to know and relish our position in Christ, but never to become haughty or narcissistic.

What got me stirred up was a quote from a book I'm reading called Secrets of Becoming a Late Bloomer:
Building self-esteem is like putting nickels and dimes into a piggy bank:  taken one by one, the wealth of image-building activities may seem insignificant, but when the container is finally opened, you'll discover a significant nest egg.  Habitually reminding yourself that you're a worthwhile person in small ways, day by day, can add up to a big boost in self-esteem.  Take time to get in touch with yourself, to experience and express approval, affection, and appreciation for who you really are. - p. 42
No wonder I've not had a "nest egg" to pull from; I was taught it was wrong to even start one.

I am thankful...  for another year of life and another chance to get it right.

In the kitchen... I have no idea.  Actually, I do have an idea or two.  I just need the energy to get in there and create something.
 
From the Workshop...   I finally finished the Birdhouse quilt ghan...


 





I auctioned it off online to finish paying for my trip to the second half of the Journey Training in Tulsa.  In case you're interested, I'll be blogging more about the details of the process of making the piece on my sister blog in the coming days.  Be on the lookout for it.

Found an adorable summer baby booty pattern...


The link to the pattern is here.  It has several errors in it, but they were easy to work out.

My next projects will most likely be paintings and small needlework projects.  I do have a few more quilt-ghans in the works, but I'll start on them later.  I need some less involved projects to offset this large one.

I am looking forward to...  the Journey Training next weekend.  The first part was intense and left me hanging, so I'm excited to finish the rest of it.

I am learning
  • I learned that there are at least two kinds of bicycle tire valves and I learned how to convert my bike pump for each one.  May not seem like much, but my new bike has different tubes from my old one.  Oh, yeah, I didn't mention my new wheels.  A couple of friends refurbished a really nice Bianchi brand bike.  It rides like a dream.  My old bike will go on the stationary trainer for days when getting outside isn't ideal.



  • I'm learning that saboteurs are some of the most selfish, devious people on the planet.  Just when you think they've gotten the message to stop, they find new ways to try to impede progress.  I've never seen someone work so hard to try to kill me.  It sad and sick. 
Around the house... Finishing up a large project always turns my work areas into disaster zones.  I spent Thursday finding my desk and bedroom floor again.  I'll spend the weekend preparing to paint and getting containers ready to hold small projects, so that I can keep up with them better.  It's also time for me to attempt detailing the car again.  I said ATTEMPT.  :)
 
A favorite quote for today... 

"To expect fallen humanity to live like Jesus did by following His good example would be like expecting a stubby-legged, sway-backed donkey to win the Kentucky Derby by following the good example of a race horse." - Kenneth Copeland

"Bad nursing in their spiritual infancy often causes converts to fall into a despondency from which they never recover and sin in other cases brings broken  bones." - Charles Spurgeon

"A day without laughter is a day wasted" - Charlie Chaplin

"My college career and beer went hand-in-hand. That's why it didn't last very long." - Greg Burgess
 
One of my favorite things...  Gift bags.  Without gift bags and tissue paper, I wrap ugly gifts.

A few plans for the rest of the week:   Running errands.  Heading to Tulsa on Wednesday.  I need to finish up a few projects before I leave.

A peek into my days...

I know I didn't to a Daybook last week, but last weekend was so busy.  I spent my 43rd birthday at a party on wheels.

With all this going on, I still had energy to play at the Community Band's concert at the Jacksonville Community Center that same evening...then I drove home and passed out.

Photo by Mindy Cheyne




















Congratulations to my niece, Cassandra, for graduating with her diploma last weekend.  I am very proud of her.

Photo by Connie Looney

I had a couple of job interviews this week.  Hopefully, gainful employment isn't far away.

And now for something totally different...

A friend gave something from my wishlish;   a Fitbit.  This little gem is supposed to track your steps, calories burned, etc.  I attempted to set it up and it wouldn't sync.

I jumped through every hoop available on their help page, all to no avail.  The conclusion was that if I were using a smartphone, it would work.  Well, I don't have a smartphone or any other Bluetooth device, save the "dongle" they provide that's supposed to work with a computer.  After complaining about it on their Twitter page, their help desk contacted me, took me through the EXACT SAME steps I took already.  Of course, it still didn't work.  Their conclusion?  I quote "Based on the screenshot you've sent, we figured that this is a common issue for Fitbit Connect Software.  For the meantime, please direct to mobile setup, see supported and compatible devices..." They give me a list of smartphones to use it with.  Didn't I say that I didn't HAVE a smartphone?  Now, they want the device back so they can send me a replacement.  Yeah, that sounds good on paper, but if the problem is the crappy software, a new device isn't going to fix it.  I'll send it back and see what happens, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not upset with my friend; it was a generous gift.  My frustration is with the whole process of "help" when it comes to any kind of computer or software problems.  Most companies assume its customers are stupid and don't follow the directions.  They really don't know how to deal with someone who actually knows what they're doing.  It's a shame.  Oh well, I've lived this long without a Fitbit and a smartphone.  I'm definitely not hurting without them.

From Twitter:  @WomenSouthern tweeted:  "Today's southern philosophy: No matter how slick ya think ya are, you can 't slide on barbed wire."

From Twitter:  @JeffBryanDavis tweeted:  "Just met a guy who spoke to me entirely in bro-speak catchphrases. Nonstop douchey clichés. Or 'douchés' as I now call them."

From Rick and Bubba's Soundcloud share:  "I can't even wash my rump without looking at what's happening in the world." Greg Burgess on Speedy checking his cellphone in the shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment