Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Calming the Purple Passion: The Weekly Hodgepodge

Want to join the party?  Go on over to From This Side of the Pond  for the Hodgepodge link-up!


When is your next big deadline? What's it for?
I don't really have any deadlines.  I have stuff I would like to get done, but not in a particular time frame.  I've found it disheartening to put deadlines on things that have factors I can't control (examples:  getting a job, losing weight, etc. 
May is National Barbecue Month. Do you prefer cooking indoors or out? What's the best thing about a barbecue? What's the last thing you cooked on an outdoor grill?
I haven't grilled outdoors in ages, but I enjoyed it.  The last thing I grilled was some inexpensive steaks.  Speaking of grilling, A cast iron grill pan is on my wishlist.   Why do people never donate something like that to a thrift store?
 What is one thing on your "never again" list?
I plead the 5th.
What's something that annoys you about people your own age? Something you love about your generation?
People my age are still so very shallow and selfish.  You would think that after more than 40 years of living, people would get a grip.  I was taking to a young friend about this very thing.  Without a true change of heart, the people who were shallow, snooty, or bullies in high school will be exactly the same as adults and train their children to be the same.
What I love about my generation is our love of diverse music.  The 80's produced some of the best music around.  From rock to rap and music that doesn't sound like a toaster being thrown down a flight of stairs, our music ran the gamut.

Lilac, iris, hyacinth, pansy...your favorite purple flower?
Pansy with iris running a very close 2nd.
At mile marker 19 on the Chief Ladiga Trail
What's a song that always calms you down?


What's the last thing you donated?
I'm donating this to Friday's senior dance.

Insert your own random thought here.
It's going to be a busy day for Auntie today.  I'm packing for my trip to Oklahoma.  We're heading west tomorrow and will be gone until Monday.  I'm excited about the conference I'm attending, but nervous as well.  I'm taking my laptop, so I'll share as much as I can.  It may take a while to process it all.
Am I the only person on the planet who's sick of Frozen?   I've never seen the movie and have no desire to.  It's not because it's a children's movie; I use to teach preschool, so those are no problem.  It's the hype.  Everybody is doing Frozen this or Frozen that.  Goodnight!  Let it go already!  (See what I did there?)
If you've read my blog any amount of time, you know how I feel about marriage and motherhood.  I'll not go into a discourse about it, but as much as I would like to put it out of my mind, I can't.  I Corinthians 7:8-9 keeps ringing in my ears.  "Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. 9But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion." (NIV)  Is marriage this wonderful example of Christ and the church, or is it simply an out for people who lack self control?  Is God's "no" answer for me out of love or something else?  I wish I could be free from this whole thing.

1 comment: