Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Classical Knowledge: The Weekly Hodgepodge

Want to join the party?  Go on over to From This Side of the Pond  for the Hodgepodge questions.


On Thursday we pause to remember a dark day in history-9/11. Will you mark it in some special way?
Absolutely not.  I know it's not a popular thing to say, but I'm tired of hearing about it every year.  Hear me out.  It was a horrible time in our history, but to me, reliving it over and over just gives the enemy another celebration. The fact that the government wants to pull out instead of finishing the job is going to give them a chance to do it again.  ISIS anyone?
Do you ever/still...listen to an actual radio? Watch a videotape (VCR)? Look up a number in a phonebook? Refer to a paper map while traveling? Set an alarm on an alarm clock as opposed to your phone?
Oh yes, in fact, my alarm clock wakes me up with my favorite morning radio program, Rick and Bubba.  Plus, I listen to the radio in the car a lot.  I still occasionally watch video tapes and look up numbers in the phone-pamphlet.  I do not use a paper map but it's not technology's fault.  I'm not very good at map reading (OK, then you take the blue road...).  I do own a GPS, but it's still in the box.  So, I haven't traveled much.
Is it ever a good idea to discuss religion or politics with people you don't know?
It depends on the situation.  I let someone else initiate the conversation.  If they are bitter or arrogant (which commonly occurs simultaneously), I do not engage.  If they truly have questions about religion or want to discuss politics like an intelligent adult, I will engage, but only so far.  
What's a dish you haven't eaten all summer, but come September find yourself craving? Have you made it yet this month?
Chili.  I almost never eat chili in the summer.  I haven't made any yet.  I'll probably wait until October before I make a pot.

What's something you know nothing about?
"I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no babies."  OK, that was too easy.  There's probably more that I don't know than have knowledge of.  There are lots of things I wish I knew more about.
September is Classical Music Month. Do you like classical music? If so, what's your favorite piece?
Yes, I acquired a taste for classical music my brief stint in undergraduate school as a music major (2 semesters).  One of my favorite pieces is Turkish March by Mozart.  It's a peppy little piano piece.  If I ever get around to relearning how to play, I want to learn that song.

What's the oldest thing you own?
Childhood pictures of me, I think.
Insert your own random thought here.
I was honored to be asked by my grandniece-- the one I call "Honey Boo-Boo" -- to eat lunch and attend the book fair with her yesterday.  She's attending the school where I used to teach, so it brought back great memories from my time there.

4 comments:

  1. I can see how it is wearying to hear coverage of the day over and over every year. But I do think I'm reminded anew of the horror, the impossible made possible, the depth of human kindness and compassion that bloomed (however briefly)...I think particularly now with the new threats, it's good to remember we are not invincible and evil exists. On a brighter note-your niece is so cute. So glad you got to share the day with her : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet picture of your grandniece...what a cutie!

    ReplyDelete