Friday, April 11, 2014

Five Minute Friday: "Paint"

Thanks to Lisa-Jo Baker at Five Minute Friday for the prompts.
 


GO!

I learned to paint in the late 90's.  A sweet lady named Margaret owned a paint shop on our city square where she gave inexpensive painting classes.  She taught me to paint with watercolors, acrylics, and oils.  I like all three, but my favorite medium to work with is acrylics.  The colors are bold and beautiful like oil paints.  However, unlike oil paints, it doesn't take days and days for them to dry. 

Mrs. Margaret awakened in me a talent I didn't even know I had.  Like music, it took a kind and patient teacher to bring it out. 

Painting transports me to another world.  Whether its the woods, a snowy mountain, or at a lighthouse in Hawaii, painting had taken me further than I've ever physically travelled.  I long for a day when I can visit beautiful places and create paintings that remind me of the good times I had.

TIME'S UP!

My latest painting

4 comments:

  1. Sweet memories. I love that you use your painting to take you to beautiful places. Keep that artistic side. Thanks for sharing your five minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you let the painting transport you to another world. That's what painting does to me too. I love the world of colors, and I love to play in this world.

    I think it's an important truth you shared through your words, "Like music, it took a kind and patient teacher to bring it out."
    I think it is the same way for many, and if more people had just a kind and patient teacher, i think painting would be more like music –most people have some kind of relationship to it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading, Ava. I think there's a lot more creative people out there, but they never expanded their horizons because of a cruel teacher. If an instructor relishes your failures rather than helping you succeed, they are not a teacher, they are a sadistic taskmaster. That's why I came to working on my health and fitness later in life.

      Delete