Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Skiing on Sunshine: The Weekly Hodgepodge

Want to join the party?  Go on over to From This Side of the Pond  for the Hodgepodge questions.

 
Are you a force to be reckoned with? In what way?
I have decided to start looking up what these idioms mean before I answer.  A force to be reckoned with is defined as, " someone or something that is important and powerful and must not be ignored." 
Are you kidding me?  Please don't think I'm being negative here, I'm not.  I'm just not sure if I should think of myself that way about anything.  That sounds like someone who is mean and hateful; a bully.  No thanks.  Sure, I'd like to not be ignored as easily as I am, but I'm not to keen on this alternative.  
What are two things you love about the wintertime? Or, if love feels like too strong a word, what are two things you 'like' about winter?
Christmas and...well...
Pomegranate, kumquat, persimmon, kiwi, and guava are all fruits said to have health benefits, particularly during the winter months. Do you have a favorite on the list? Are there any on the list you haven't tried?
I've only eaten kiwifruit (which I do like).  Haven't tried the others yet.
I passed a local church yesterday and noticed they had this on their outdoor sign- 'When all else fails, do the right thing.' Your thoughts?
I don't get that.  Of course it would help if I knew the context of what it meant.  Do they mean, "after you've tried everything else and found it lacking, try Jesus Who never fails"?  Or, do they mean something else.  I don't know what to think about it.
Someday soon...hopefully
Do you ski? According to one list I've seen, the top 5 ski destinations for 2014 are-St. Anton Austria, Whistler Canada, Cortina Italy, Tahoe USA, and Zermatt Switzerland.  Of the five listed, which would you most like to visit? We can make skiing optional if that helps the non-skiers with their answer.
I've not yet learned to ski, but when I do, Lake Tahoe USA sounds wonderful.
What's the last thing you looked for online? (Besides my blog!)
Workout videos on YouTube.
What saying, slogan, quote, or motto have you seen lately that inspires you for the new year?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion, spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who have never tasted victory or defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt
 Insert your own random thought here.
I've taken the past couple of weeks to really try to focus on what I want the rest of the year to look like and how I want to get there.  The best way for me to get there is to enjoy things one day at a time and extend to myself the grace God has extended to me.  I'm leaning to distinguish between grace and excuses. No excuses, but LOTS of grace.
I've also been thinking about a challenge issued by Joyce over at From This Side of Pond (yes, the same sweet lady who gives the Hodgepodge questions).  It's called  101 in 1001, which, if I understand it correctly, is 101 things I want to accomplish in the next 1001 days (Joyce, am I right?).  As soon as I have my list.  I will post it and link back to it here.  No pressure on me, but something fun to look forward to working on.  




4 comments:

  1. Yes that's right...hope you make a list and start ticking it off. I'm only about 1/5 of the way through mine, but I have until mid-2015 to finish. I love your blog header photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce. I'm working on my list now. The pic is from our local bike trail. It was a beautiful fall day. I hope to get out there again soon.

      Delete
  2. Love that Roosevelt quote! And, if you ever want to learn to ski, Colorado has decent slopes, too... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Annie,

    I got that quote from a seminar I saw online. The speaker was talking about how to handle constructive criticism versus destructive criticism. It was great.

    ReplyDelete