Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Days 12 & 13: It's Not Easy Being Blue: The Weekly Hodgepodge [40 Days of Gratitude 2023]


Join the fun! 
Come on over to 
for the Hodgepodge link-up!


What's one fun thing on your December calendar? 

The university's administrative assistants (for future reference, the group is called Gatekeepers Ltd.) are having a Christmas brunch and white elephant gift exchange.  I always enjoy white elephant/dirty Santa exchanges.  It's a riot to see what gifts are fought over and how intense the battle is.  I remember a church worship team Christmas party back home that got pretty feisty because most of the group were Alabama fans and there was a University of Alabama ornament in the mix.  We had to establish the rule that after a gift had been stolen three times, it was "frozen" before somebody got hurt.

Sherwin William's Color of the Year for 2024 is Upward, described as 'a hint of silver lining', 'a breezy blissful blue' (see sample here). Benjamin Moore's Color of the Year for 2024 is Blue Nova, where 'violet and blue come together in a sumptuous hue'. (see sample here) Valspar's Color of the Year for 2024 is Renew Blue, a balanced blue with a touch of grayed sea -green' (see sample here)

Seems like the design world is keen on the color blue for the new year. Do you have a lot of blue in your home decor currently? What shade? Of the three colors listed which one's your favorite? Do you need to paint? How likely is it you'd select one of these shades for your home? Which one? 

Though all of those sample shades were lovely, in my living and dining area I'm using shades of turquoise and teal. Since I do not own my place, it would be cost prohibitive to have the walls painted since I'd have to have them painted white again when I move.  When I am at the place where I own my living quarters, any of the sample colors would made a good color for an accent wall.

Do you struggle with 'the seasonal blues'? What are some things you do to try to beat the blues? 

Unfortunately, I do struggle with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).  I chronicle my journey with it here.  I still employ those strategies to keep the dark tendrils of full-blown depression at bay.

Blue jeans...love 'em or no? How many pair do you own? Are you married to a particular brand? 

I like them, especially stretch jeans.  I've only got one pair for now, but would like to get a few pairs with some warm flannel shirts to go with them (so, is that Coloradan, redneck, or a combo?).  I don't care about the brand, so long as they fit well.

In terms of holiday preparation (baking, shopping, wrapping, mailing, meal planning, etc) how far along are you? 1=haven't given it a second thought, 10=nothing left to do but wait 

I am where I am.  I refuse to pressure myself.  I've had a heck of time getting into the Christmas spirit.  Even though I'm on sabbatical from teaching until summer, I have added responsibilities on my full-time job.  I end my days much earlier but just as tired.  I'm just taking it one day and one event at a time.

Insert your own random thought here. 

Days 12 and 13.

I am grateful for:

  • People in my life who want to see me do well rather than do everything in their power to make sure I don't.
  • The show on YouTube called Colour In Your Life.  It's a show out of Australia that features artists and their unique perspectives and techniques for producing artwork.  I've learned to much just by watching.  I can't wait to start experimenting with the various methods in my own artwork.
  • Coupons that give a real discount.
  • Friends who finally understand why I don't drive in snow.  #ImStillSouthern
  • An honest mechanic who came highly recommended by the ministry I bought my car through.
  • My trip to the butterfly pavilion earlier this year.  I was looking over the pictures earlier.
  • Lunch with a friend.

In case you missed it:  

* My previous Hodgepodge post:  "Time After Time" is here.
* My latest First Line Friday post "#15:  Practicing Christian Doctrine" is here.
* My latest Monday Mess Making post on my Auntie's Workshop blog "Quilt in a Day...Well:  Episode 3" is here.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment