Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Days 05 & 06: Time After Time: The Weekly Hodgepodge [40 Days of Gratitude 2023]


Join the fun! 
Come on over to 
for the Hodgepodge link-up!

Does anybody really know what day it is? Last week we skipped the Hodgepodge and I just assumed this week would find us in December, but nope. Still November. Do you wear a watch? Use a paper calendar or strictly electronic? What's your favorite hour of the day? Why? 

Well, in all fairness Miss Joyce, we will be in December on Friday. Anyway, to answer the questions:

  • Yes, I wear a watch.  I hadn't since my old one wore out nearly three years ago.  The only thing that made me buy a new one was because I wanted a more up-to-date Fitbit (part of the features of the newer ones is a watch).  Otherwise, I could just check the time on my phone.
  • I use a paper calendar for my personal appointments, but use Outlook's electronic calendar for work.  I know this sounds weird, but I find a paper calendar more portable and user-friendly.  I never use the Google calendar on my phone because it's a pain in the butt to change or delete anything.
  • My favorite hour of the day is 6-8 a.m. (OK, it's two hours).  It's quiet, I'm not in front of a computer screen, and no one at work EVER contacts me at those hours, so I can start my day in peace.

Tell us something about how you celebrated the Thanksgiving holiday. 

I went into details about my Thanksgiving in my post here.

What's a sound you hate to hear? 

  • Any dissonant high-pitched noise (think feedback from a microphone).\
  • The yelling of the F-word or the Lord's name in vain.
  • "Karens" being "Karens."
  • Gary Danielson calling an SEC game on TV.
  • Unruly children yelling at their parents (or any authority figure for that matter).
  • A fork being dragged across someone's teeth (how does that not make their skin crawl?).

Where do you not mind waiting? 

I have enough experience to know that hurry and impatience are not my friends.  In most situations, I don't mind waiting.  However, as much as I understand that certain car repairs take time, I hate to be without my wheels for an extended period of time...even when I had no plans to go anywhere anyway.  This spring, I have some repairs and maintenance to schedule for my car and I'm dreading having to find alternate avenues of transportation.

I really wish____________________________________. 

I really wish for my dream Christmas.  It's not expensive or selfish (at least not to me).  My dream Christmas includes gifts I'd like to give and receive, and people with which I'd like to enjoy the holiday.

Insert your own random thought here. 


Days 05 and 06.

I am grateful for:

  • Dental insurance.  I went through a three hour ordeal today (Tuesday) that won't be complete for two weeks, then I have another procedure in a few months.  The good thing is with insurance, it's affordable...and I'll still have all my teeth in the end.  I'm making up for lost time and all the years I didn't have dental insurance before moving to Colorado.
  • A faster computer.  My work computers have always had high processor speeds.  Finally, I have a personal computer that's more up to speed.  The coolest thing about it is that it was a gift.  Talk about God providing.
  • Store brand or generic pain relievers.  I remember (I sound like I'm 1000 years old) when all that was available were expensive name brands.  Let's just say I've needed a dose (or two) of generic Excedrin for a few days in a row and it has helped tremendously. 

In case you missed it:  

* My previous Hodgepodge post:  "...And Cake" is here.
* My latest First Line Friday post "#15:  Practicing Christian Doctrine" is here.
* My latest Monday Mess Making post on my Auntie's Workshop blog "Quilt in a Day...Well:  Episode 3" is here.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you've needed painkillers but so glad they helped. Your dream Christmas sounds great indeed, doesn't everyone want one? I mean some people wish for a fancy getaway over the holiday season but all that ultimately matters are the people who are closest to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. It's hard to get together with people because they have family who are local, but I don't. But hopefully it will work out.

      Delete
  2. So nice to see your name in the HP this week! I had to giggle at your Gary Danielson comment. We feel the same lol. I'm going to share that answer with my hubs because he finds him especially annoying. Hoping you get your dream Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miss Joyce. It was great to finally have the time (and brain power) to blog again.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad someone is grateful for their dental insurance and that it's working well for them! I've had an absolutely AWFUL year dealing with my dental insurance and while I'm glad that I have insurance, it really didn't do me any good this year. :sigh: I wish for the same kind of dream Christmas - that's a lovely generous wish! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that. I used to have horrible dental insurance. I won't name to company, but let's just say if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably the insurance company's mascot. The company my employer uses is out of Colorado and they've been great so far.

      Delete
  4. My hubby uses outlook and I've never figured it out. Oh, yes, I hate the F-bomb, especially when it seems to be used unneccesarily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outlook on the computer isn't so bad, but on the phone, it's not so great.

      Delete