Sunday, December 3, 2023

Day 11: Tidings of Comfort and...do what now?! [40 Days of Gratitude 2023]

Today, I'm grateful for:

Being mad about the right things.  Just a confession up front, my sister Clara and I have some weird conversations--and we know it.  #SisterGoals  The beginning of today's conversation revolved around the fact that I'd run out of grits, the surprise that I could even buy grits in Colorado, and the different ways that we prepare and garnish our grits so that they taste like something other than paste. [Side note: if anyone ever tries to offer you plain and/or instant grits, run!  They are either a Yankee who doesn't know how to make grits, or they are an assassin who's trying to kill you.  What did you do?]  This led us both to wonder if they still made Cream of Wheat (which is nothing like grits).  Neither of us like this "food," so I have no idea why we cared.  I did a web search and not only found out the product still exists, but that they have also joined the ranks of other "woke" companies by removing the famous black chef character from their packaging. 

What the crap?

Ok, when the football team formerly known as the Washington Redskins changed their name, I thought it was stupid.  When Major League Baseball's Cleveland Indians rebranded themselves as the Cleveland Guardians, I thought it was asinine.  As one comedian put it, "Guardians is a stupid name.  It's just a guy you tell 'You're not my real dad!'"  When companies like Land-O-Lakes, Aunt Jemima, and Uncle Ben's Rice decided to prove their love of diversity by removing all the people of color from their packaging, I was incensed.  Is anyone truly offended by this, or is this someone being offended "for" someone because they believe he or she needs an ally, a voice for the voiceless?  That sounds all well and good until you realize that those "voiceless" souls can speak for themselves and never asked for a 3rd party mouthpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment