Sunday, July 26, 2020

Beans and Greens: The Simple Woman's Daybook

If you would like to join in and post your own Daybook, please head on over to visit Peggy at The Simple Woman's Daybook

 

For Today: Sunday, July 26 , 2020

Looking Out My Window ... More pictures of the beauty that is around me.  I met up with my friend Amy this week at Union Square Park.  These photos are from that trek.





I am Thinking...
  • I'm wondering why food companies create resealable packaging that you have to destroy to get the package OPEN!
  • Winter is heavily on my mind lately.  Yes, I know we're in the middle of summer, but this whole season of isolation has not been good for me. I've mentioned before that I battle Seasonal Affective Disorder every year.  Colorado was at the tail end of the winter season (we can get snow into May) when mandated quarantine was put into effect.  Then the whole George Floyd incident happens and now I've got too many more reasons to stay inside than venture out.  Getting back to my church or working a few days in the office don't look like they're going to happen for several more months.  Colorado's first snow usually happens in October. My psyche hasn't recovered.  I had a brief period where I thought I was getting well, but I've had a relapse.  I just don't think I can handle winter on top of all this.

I am Thankful...
  • For the fun walk with Amy and her sweet Eleanor.  It's hard to grasp that she'll be two years old this winter.  I hadn't seen her since she was an arm baby.  Now, she's walking and saying discernible words.  Many, they grow don't they?
  • For hope.  I bought this in the hopes there will be a reason to use it.


From the Workshop... 

Along with completing my latest Dollar Tree Challenge and prepping for the next ones, I've been slowly working on a couple of painting projects.  I reorganized my craft supplies.  My plan was to buy another one of those 9-cube shelves and the fabric drawers to put the supplies in.  However, Wal-Mart is doing their "let's discontinue things people actually want and buy" thing they do every year.  So, I rearranged my other shelves to accommodate. Hopefully this will make things easier to find.

One of the fun things from the Workshop this week was my friend Diana found a cute fall wreath idea online and her Dollar Tree happened to have the supplies plus, she had the fabric for it. We got together Saturday and put them together.  Here's mine:





From Auntie's Test Kitchen... In short, I conquered #43 on my 50 for fifty list.


For just a little background, my mother almost always cooked beans from dry.  I tried it once years ago and got B. B. pellets instead of beans. I figured it was my less-than-stellar cooking skills, so I never tried it again.  When I told Susan I was putting this on my 50 for fifty list, she said that my lack of success before may not have been my fault; I may have gotten old beans and didn't know it.  Well, the one good thing about everyone clearing the grocery store shelves is that all the dry beans I bought were new off the truck.  I followed the instructions on the packaging (except I cooked mine in the crock pot) and they turned out fine.

I am Reading...

Eat This Book by Eugene Peterson
Holy Scripture: A Dogmatic Sketch by John Webster
Theological Interpretation of Scripture by Stephen Fowl
Breaking Free by Beth Moore
Tactics by Gregory Koukl
Christian Apologetics by Douglas Groothuis
The Story of Christianity, Volume 2 by Justo Gonzalez

Favorite Quote(s) of the Week ...

"If God chose for you to have physical children, prepare yourself.  They will grow up!  Then it's time to enlarge your tent and invest in spiritual children!  If God chooses for you never to have physical children, He's calling you to a far bigger family!  God purposely placed the dreams of fruitful lives in our hearts." - Beth Moore, Breaking Free, p. 160.

Now For Something Totally Different ...

Five Minute Friday Word of the Week:  Smile.









No comments:

Post a Comment