Friday, June 12, 2020

Five Minute Friday: "How?"





How can I define "normal" anymore?  Quarantine rules sent me (a perfectly healthy human, by the way) into federal, state, city, and employment mandated solitary confinement. My psyche got a good old fashioned Southern ass whupping  Now that things have eased slightly in Colorado and we can get out a little more (with a face covering of course), people seem much less tense and afraid (although they're STILL hoarding toilet paper and paper towels-- y'all stop!).

Now, we have the racial tension and chaos going on all over the United States and I feel like I have a big target on my back.  I feel like I did as a kid when the teacher made kids play with me who didn't want to.  It didn't spark acceptance and love; it bred resentment that lasted pretty much until graduation.  Just as I was getting used to the idea of leaving the house more than once a week, I, as a black person have become a problem, and I'm back to not wanting to leave the house.  Now, understand, it's not because I'm afraid for me.  The places I frequent have lovely people and I'm totally safe.  I'm afraid for my Caucasian brothers and sisters.  I don't want them to fear that I assume them racist simply because they are white.  I don't want them walking on eggshells around me--afraid they will say to do something wrong.  They haven't before and they won't now.

I've had a couple of friends ask me if they needed to do anything in light of what's going on right now.  Here's my answer and I would advise everyone to do the same.  Just keep loving people no matter what color they are.  You can love someone without agreeing with everything they do or believe.  Just keep doing that!

12 comments:

  1. So fabulous to see you here! And we're Friday neighbors to boot! fyi-I brought the Hodgepodge back for a while (we'll see how long) because everyone was at loose ends and it's been a lot of fun. Would love for you to come back and join when you can. I enjoyed this post. A difficult season for sure, but I'm so glad you're getting out and about again. I so agree with your words of wisdom there at the end. And I am still using my afghan and loving it : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Miss Joyce.

      So good to see you again! I'd love to join the Hodgepodge again. Maybe you'll see me next week.

      Glad you're still enjoying the afghan. It will be awesome to keep in touch again.

      Delete
  2. I really appreciate your thoughts on what is going on in the world right now. I'm trying to practice listening to all the perspectives, and acknowledging each person's (or every color, as you said) unique journey and experience. If only so I can love them better. I heard someone say recently "It doesn't cost you anything to validate someone else's experience."
    Thank you for sharing your story. I hope, as a culture, we can all learn to love each other better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing! It's my first time finding your blog. I'm so glad I found it. Everything is upside down and sideways and I am starting to forget what normal even was. I wanted to thank you for being so honest and for sharing your experience as we go through this. Your advice, "Just keep loving people no matter what color they are. You can love someone without agreeing with everything they do or believe," is the best advice I have heard in awhile. Simple and powerful. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to hear the awkwardness is felt on both sides. I'm a talker by nature and found myself chatting with the man behind me in line at Panda Express a few nights ago. And suddenly this thought that I attribute to the enemy crept into my mind, "Because he is black and I am white, does he think I'm talking to him to prove I'm not racist?" No. I "took captive" that thought (2 Corinthians 10:5) and trusted who I am to God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, it should never be that way. Too many assumptions cause misunderstanding. Thanks so much for reading.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed your post and your perspective. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! Plain and simple, just the way I like it. We should all learn to be as considerate of our neighbors. I pray you will go out again without worry soon. BTW - in Michigan I think we are past the TP hoarding, now it's just the meat & flour shortage we're dealing with. Thankfully, I don't bake anymore. :-)

    I'm having trouble leaving the comment from my WP blog, so here it is.
    https://myconcretedove.com

    ReplyDelete