Friday, December 30, 2022

**NEW** First Line Friday #1: Practice Resurrection

 

Thanks to Carrie at
Reading is My Superpower
for the Link-up


Hey y'all.

With such a great reading year (I read more than 60 books this year) paired with such a dismal showing of reviews (I reviewed one book this year...and it was one I didn't even like), I thought I would try something new.

While I hope to continue reviewing books, I'd like to have a quicker, more consistent way to share what I'm currently reading.  Even if you read different genres of books that I do, I hope what I share encourages you to either keep reading, or pick up a book if you haven't in a while. While searching for something else--which is usually how it works--I found Carrie's website and link-up. I thought that a quick share of the first line and a synopsis of a book I'm currently reading would be fun.  So here goes.


Book: 
Practice Resurrection:
A Conversation on Growing Up in Christ.
 

Author:  Eugene H. Peterson

Genre: Religious Nonfiction:  Practical Theology

〰First Line

                                                                          

Church is the textured context in which we grow up in Christ to maturity. 
But church is difficult. 
Sooner or later though, if we are serious about growing up in Christ,
we have to deal with church.

                                                                          

Synopsis:  (From Hoopla Digital):

There is no question that bringing men and women to new birth in Christ is essential. But, argues Eugene Peterson, isn't it obvious that growth in Christ is equally essential? Yet the American church does not treat Christian growth and character formation with equivalent urgency. We are generally uneasy with the quiet, obscure conditions in which growth takes place. Building maturity in Christ is too often relegated to footnote status in the text of our lives.  In Practice Resurrection Peterson brings the voice of Scripture, especially Paul's letter to the Ephesians, and the voice of the contemporary Christian congregation together in understanding what is involved in the practice of becoming mature - growing up to the "stature of Christ."

So, what's the first line of the book you're currently reading?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I have not heard of this one, but it sounds great! I will be adding it to my TBR. Welcome to First Line Fridays, it is a fun way to hop around to other blogs and add to the never ending TBR pile, and make some new bookish friends :) Here's a link to my Friday post: https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2022/12/first-line-friday-74-with-you-i-am.html

    ReplyDelete