Sunday, January 20, 2019

Five Minute Friday: "Influence."


Yeah, I know it's Sunday. Cut me some slack.  No inspiration hit me for this prompt until today. 



Today, I experienced something that's never happened at any other church I've been a part of.  Not only did our church acknowledge the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, but we embraced it and the message behind it.  On the big screen was projected numerous quotes by Dr. King concerning character, love, and forgiveness.

When I think of the influence of Dr. King, I think of my church.  Colorado Community Church is the most diverse church I've ever attended.  Not taking away from my home churches, but honestly, most of the time I was the black neighborhood in the congregation.  Today, people from every nation and tribe not only celebrated a great man of faith and influence, but also praised the Lord in unity and reckless abandon.  The exact definition of King's "dream."

Though I know a brief history of Dr. King, I've not sat down and consumed his writings.  Every February, I try to focus solely on the writings of important figures in black history.  This experience has inspired me to seek out the writings of Martin Luther King.  I've discovered that our local library has a few of his books.  My plan is to read at least one of them.

May I continue to be influenced by this great man.

No comments:

Post a Comment