Friday, January 12, 2018

Five Minute Friday: "Simplify"



I find it ironic that this prompt came up right after I finished reviewing the book The Turquoise Table, which talks about simplifying hospitality.

To simplify denotes getting rid of that which is superfluous and getting down the bear bones to bring more peace into the home.  Most of us want to do that with possessions, but not with our mental clutter.  We want to gather our unwanted household goods and cart them off to the thrift store (I could go into a rant about those who donate useless, dirty, broken crap that needs to be thrown away rather than donated, but I won't...yet).  However, we don't want to clean our minds of the unwanted detritus of hate, bitterness, anxiety, self-loathing, racism, etc.  Why don't we simplify our lives by dragging that debris into the light of God's truth and letting the Lord set us free for that garbage?

That is true simplification that brings ultimate peace.
 
 

5 comments:

  1. I'm finding that if I don't have my mental clutter cleared, it's harder to clear the physical clutter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do say it the way to is. Hats off to your clear language. I may have to re-visit that bag for Goodwill. Ha! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know of a few people who like to fix up broken or run-down things, so I'm always unsure if I should give it away hoping someone like that will want to fix it up, or if I should just throw it away. :)

    Mental clutter & physical clutter do seem to go hand-in-hand. The physical clutter adds stress so that I have a hard time focusing on doing anything. I have to get some of the physical clutter out of the way before I can dig deeper and start thinking about the mental clutter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, both types of clutter compound each other. It's a weight that's hard to bear.

      Delete