Usually the word trigger is associated with something negative, but there are also positive triggers: what we call motivators.
Some positive triggers that inspire me to make positive health choices are:
- Health success stories of others.
- Healthy recipes I want to try.
- Seeing the results of what making poor choices produces.
- Encouragement from others.
- Signing up for races and activities.
- Good music that gets me moving (more on that on step 17).
- Getting a new workout outfit, shoes, or equipment.
Some negative triggers the drive me to make harmful health choices are:
- Depression and thoughts of suicide
- Stress and fear
- Being mistreated or ignored by others
- Feeling out of control
- Negative feelings in general