Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The White Stuff: The Weekly Hodgepodge

Want to join the party?  Go on over to From This Side of the Pond  for the Hodgepodge link-up!


Did you watch The Oscars? How many of the Best Picture nominees have you seen? (American Sniper, Birdman, Boyhood, Selma, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything, and Whiplash)  Do you think actors should use their acceptance speeches as an opportunity to promote their political and/or social agenda? Does that sort of speech make you more or less inclined to change the channel?
No, I didn't watch the Oscars.  The only Best Picture nominee that I even heard of was American Sniper, which I have not seen.  I quit watching the Oscars years ago because of that very reason--every nominee was from some obscure movie I'd never heard of.  Plus, the winners are usually based on politics and butt kissing rather than artistry and content.
As far as promoting social/political agenda in an acceptance speech, cut the crap and get on with it.  The fact that the Oscar broadcast is longer than a Major League Baseball game in extra innings is already a pain; let's not gum it up with hyperbole and inane diatribes on issues these people were told by their publicists to care about.  I think everyone should just do what singer Billy Ocean did when he won awards--simply say "thank you" and get off the stage!
Speaking of the movies... are you comfortable going to a movie alone? How about dinner in a restaurant (not fast food, but an actual restaurant)? The second half of this question was posed by Carrie who blogs over at It's Not Easy Being Queen. Thanks Carrie!
I've not done that, so I'm sure if I would be comfortable with it or not. 
What's the last home repair or home improvement project you had to pay someone to complete? In hindsight was this a project you could have done yourself? 
Does an appliance repair count?  At my old apartment, I had my washing machine repaired.  And, no, I could not and would not have attempted it myself.
Have you ever had Indian food? Like it or no? If you're a fan, what's your favorite dish? Have you ever prepared this yourself at home? Is there an Indian restaurant in your current hometown? 
I think I did once, but I don't really remember.  I would like to try it enough to actually remember.  As far as I know, we don't have any Indian cuisine anywhere close by.  I think I'd have to go to Birmingham for that.
A song that reminds you of your parents? 
 
 
This was my parents' love song.  I remember them throwing parties when I was a kid.  At some point they would put on the 45 and slow dance.
 
 
The 26th of February is National Tell A Fairy Tale Day. What's your favorite, or one of your favorite, fairy tales? Do you have any childhood memories associated with a particular fairy tale? 
I really wasn't into fairy tales as a kid.  They were too  depressing.  Even as a young girl, I couldn't relate to them.
What's a problem you solved yesterday? 
Can't think of anything. 
Insert your own random thought here.
Everyone is freaked out because there's a chance of snow in the forecast today (goodbye bread and milk).  I'll be glad when it's over with.  I'm ready for spring.
I'm trying to decide if I want to bite the bullet and go to the gym.  I got caught in the ice storm last year and had a hard time getting home.  I live six miles from the Community Center, so I would have a heck of a time getting home if I get caught out this time.  BUT I need to work out and I'm trying to get my mileage for the month.  What to do, what to do. 
I just looked at the radar.  I better stay right where I am.  Don't need any of this...
Trying to get home in last year's ice storm.
I'm also ready for spring because I feel the "blahs" trying to hit me again.  Winter was better for me mentally this year.  There were some rough patches, but not paralyzing depression.  I'm starting to get cabin fever, plus it's been 3 weeks since the weather cooperated with my workout schedule.  I'm like a kid denied recess for too long.

5 comments:

  1. I love your outraged Bunny, I am saving it in case winter does not end.
    Katie atBankerchick Scratchings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun questions! I have been to a movie alone: Paris, Je t'aime. It wasn't as awkward as I imagined it would be. I have eaten at nicer restaurants alone while traveling, and prefer more casual options if I'm by myself. But, I didn't want to miss out on the culture. I'm totally with you about the Oscars! I stopped watching after Titanic won for best picture. Not relevant. Plus, now that we have Bea, I don't think we've seen any of the nominated movies!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Normally I enjoy the winter for the most part, but we've been so ridiculously cold this year you really can't even get out for a walk. I am ready for temperatures above freezing! Stay safe and warm...spring is coming eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing, after so long of not being able to get outside, looking out the window is not enough. Sorry, but I'm not hardcore enough to walk, run, or ride in freezing weather. When the temp is above 50 degrees Fahrenheit, I'm there.

      Delete